Community - Message Boards

Sleuth Talk

Playing Faster

Aimee Pond
Aimee Pond

What is a good strategy for solving mysteries faster? Not in game time, but in real time. I always solve mysteries way ahead of deadline in game time, but I haven't been able to solve fast enough in real time to win a showdown yet. I'm wondering if anyone could share strategies they use for solving mysteries quicker? Thanks!

Replies
SKYBURNER
SKYBURNER

- use the Tab key to help you find evidence

- keep playing with good players like Jayne, icy, Iona, etc... and you can learn by just playing with them

- accuse the remaining suspect if you have eliminated all others. Note that this is a very risky technique because if you miss to pick up any evidence or miss to unlock any suspects, then you may wrongly eliminate the murderer and thus have false accusation which can be quite costly

- fast fingers would also help :)

Aimee Pond
Aimee Pond

Thanks Sky and Iona! I see some ideas in both of your posts that I could try. Thanks again! I'll let you know if I have any more specific questions after I try a couple more showdowns.

Aimee Pond
Aimee Pond

I just thought of one other question. Do you take notes while you are playing? I usually jot down notes in a file as I go, to remind me of what evidence I have and who I have already interviewed or searched. I am wondering, though, if typing the notes is slowing my play down too much. How much do you guys keep in your head and how much do you take notes on?

Iona Gunn
Iona Gunn

no i never take notes - it would definitely slow me down a lot. although it can be difficult sometimes to remember everything - especially in cases with lots of pe - just by doing it you get better at it. if i really do forget something, e.g what the murder weapon is, then i just check back in case file.

Aimee Pond
Aimee Pond

The reason I started taking notes is so I could remember if a suspect was influenced more by charm or intimidation, so that I would use the right one the next time. That info isn't stored anywhere in the case file, is it? Also, I wanted to be able to remember which ones I had already searched or asked for leads. Do you all just keep all of that kind of information in your head? If so, I need to work more on my memory, lol! :-)

Iona Gunn
Iona Gunn

i totally empathise. however, during a showdown i don't take notes for anything. i can remember who i've spoken to (usually) and since i ask for alibi and leads straight away with each suspect i don't need to go back for either of these. as far as remembering who responds to charm/intimidation goes, i try to give each suspect a little nickname as i go along e.g. lovely laura - if she responds to charm, or creepy stephen - if he responds to intimidation! it doesn't always work but it helps quite a lot of the time, haha.

in a normal case (not showdown) if, say, there is an absolute mass of pe then sometimes in the past i have jotted down quick notes, but just handwritten notes on a pad - not typed or anything. maybe u could just have a pen and pad by your side and make a brief note of the things u r most likely to forget?

oh and use your skill points to buy more charm and intimidation before anything else - they are the most important tools for your detective, way beyond any analysis skills.

best :)

Aimee Pond
Aimee Pond

Ha ha!!! I *love* your nickname method! I have to try that. I use nicknames like that to remember people in real life, so I'm surprised I didn't think to try that here yet. :-)

I think I will try the pen & pad, so I'm not switching windows to use Notepad.

Thanks for the tip about charm & intimidation. I spread my skill points a bit too thin at first, but I'm going for the charm & intimidation skills now. :-)

[ You must login to reply ]

Login Help