Community - Message Boards

Newbie Questions

Which standing to raise first

SneakQueen
SneakQueen

Hi, I'm new to this game. I just want to ask which NPC standing should I prioritize raising. I heard that when you use charm or intimidation on an NPC, it can lower your standing with them so I'm confused about this. I really appreciate your help. Thank you. :)

So far this is what I know about NPCs: (Just interested who to prioritize in the first 3 types)

1. Case-giving NPC = the ones who give us cases (morgue assistant, desk sergeant)

2. Info-giving NPCs = the ones where i could ask the address and whereabouts (waiter, receiving nurse, bartender, fact checker)

3. Evidence NPCs = People whom you can ask about the evidence (banker, beat cop, tailor, shoemaker, etc)

These next ones I learned I could unlock later in the game
4. Faction NPCs = for raising faction standing but it would be later in the game (priest, stylists, etc)

5. Fixer = for cleaning false accusation. Good thing I haven't met him/her yet. (is there any good to meet him/her)

Replies
Detective Joseph Chen
Detective Joseph Chen

1) Case giving NPC.
2) Info giving NPC.
3) Evidence NPC, but for these, I recommend Police Clerk as high as possible.

Droid
Droid

I'd recommend differently,

1, evidence townies,
2, The other easy case giver (reporter for you)
3, whereabouts townies

Try to avoid the fixer, you don't want to be offered favours for her as you lose choice of the others. She does train in one skill at high level but you don't need it.

Detectivu Lu Peste
Detectivu Lu Peste

What I did,

1. evidence townies,
2. info giving townies,
3. case givers for harder cases (later in the game),
4. case givers for easy cases only when you start THing.

SneakQueen
SneakQueen

Wow you all answered differently. I got a bit more confused now but would you care explain the logic to me?

Droid and Lu suggested evidence NPCs first but would I be spending a lot on bribes if I need to verify many evidences of the same kind? For example if I need to verify 3 threatening notes and I have 3 suspects with fake alibis, wouldn't I be spending a lot on bribes since if I use charm or intimidation my standing would be lower?

Joseph Chen, why the Case-giving NPC first?

I really appreciate your answers, guys. :)

SneakQueen
SneakQueen

Reply deleted by Moderator.

Detectivu Lu Peste
Detectivu Lu Peste

Yeah... for a while you definitely need to give some bribes away.

But if you start with Peggy the butcher, say, and befriend her as you keep the others with no standings you can manipulate everyone and only bribe Peggy until you get her to 15 (or even better, 40) so she will offer the answers without manipulations.
Then, you can start working on a different townie.

I was never able to only bribe one townie, but just a few... until you get them all to 40. You can raise them beyond 40 so you can manipulate them from time to time if you don't like to bribe.

I said the info givers should be second priority because, no matter how you get your whereabouts information, you still need to get answers from those guys to confirm alibis - and yes, I love to get free answers.

Case givers for easy cases won't be necessary anymore once you advance in the game, so you only should raise them if you plan to subscribe anytime soon, join an agency and start doing Treasure Hunts.

Zunia
Zunia

However, sometimes when you have multiple pieces of evidence of the same kind good standings with the evidence townie will save you a gift or even the case.
Why I said those should be first priority. Joseph is right about Margaret the Police Clerk, since you can't train any analysis skills to help you with the fingerprints.

Detectivu Lu Peste
Detectivu Lu Peste

Thanks, Z.

In any case, Queenie, if you don't want to give gifts and bribes, you can always manipulate anyone once in a while and rebuild the standings afterwards.

Detective Joseph Chen
Detective Joseph Chen

1) Case giving NPC.
- Because once you have all the accessible case giver's standings to 40, you get more favors offered and because of this, you get more choice to choose from, rather than the number of favors offered seems to be limited and the choices are too little that certain townies never seems to appear to be offered.

2) Info giving NPC.
- As you do harder cases, you will notice that you don't depend on suspects anymore to ask for other suspect's whereabouts and if your standings is not high enough for them to give free questions, then you'll spend quite a lot of money bribing them.

3) Evidence NPC, but for these, I recommend Police Clerk as high as possible.
- Besides Police Clerk, others are quite important too, but if you really want to choose after Police Clerk, I'll recommend the weapon townies (which you can get lucky) to analyze and match the weapon early on and able to accuse if it matches a fake alibi suspect.

I always get 2 free questions first, then bribe for 2 more questions, then give gift if I have it, but for new players, I believe getting 2 free questions first, then give a gift would be enough before you bribe for another 2 more. But it depends whether:

1) You have multiple physical evidence of the same kind to match, coz if you don't then 2 free + 2 from bribe is more than enough.
2) You have multiple suspects that has alibi with the same townie to verify (assuming you've unlocked all the suspects), then whether to choose 2 free followed by bribe or 2 free followed by gift would be part of the strategy that you can use.

Good Luck. ^_^

SneakQueen
SneakQueen

Thank you for the insights, guys. I'll think about your answers on what to raise first but I'll take note of the Police Clerk part. :)

[ You must login to reply ]

Login Help