Community - Message Boards

Message Board Game Room

CONTEST: 'A Day in the Life.....'

ms helen
ms helen

Hello, fellow Gumshoes!

Have you ever wondered what the Morgue Assistant really does with all those cadavers? Maybe you've wondered why Preston spends all his time in the bar?

We'd like to know what really goes on during the day-to-day life of some of our most well-known townies - and this is where YOU, my fellow gumshoes, come in.

We want you to write a story about a day in the life of a Townie. You may pick ONE of the following:

Pawn Broker
Beat Cop
Bartender
Reporter
Morgue Assistant
Tobacconeer

This contest is open to everyone, whether subscribed or unsubscribed.

THE RULES

Stories must be written in either first or third person.

Stories must not be longer than 1 forum post.

One Story per detective, and you may NOT use alt detectives to submit more.

Spelling and Grammar ARE important. Remember, Spell Check is your friend!

No Plagiarism, we expect your story to be completely your own work.

Please, remember the game is set in the 1950's, so no cell phones, personal computers/laptops, etc.

Also remember this is a detective game, so some form of mystery in the story will net you extra points.

The Judges: Anikka, Develin, Fletchi, and Ms. Helen. In the event of a tie our beloved Squirrel will have the deciding vote.

THE PRIZES:
1st Prize: 3 month sub + special item
2nd prize: 2 month sub + special item
3rd prize: 1 month sub + special item

Plus, anyone who posts a worthy entry (ie, NOT: i iz entering cuz i wanna win) will get a special little something too.

DEADLINE:
31st October 2010 (23:59 or 11:59 PM Server time)

Please post below if you have any questions. Please post your entry into this thread.

Good luck, all!

Replies
ms helen
ms helen

Just a quick reminder that the deadline is 11:59PM sleuth server time tonight, just enough time to get that last minute entry in :)

banolipop
banolipop

October 31st, 1950

I haven't been here for twenty years. Sure, the town was old, poor and inspirited, but that's not why I moved out and never came back. I did so because that's where my parents were killed.
I was just a little kid back then. I lived in this town with my parents, the life was simple, yet peaceful; until that day. I came home from school, and there my parents were, lying on the ground, inanimate. I could never forget the blood that strained down from their body, or the look of fear on their faces. That's when the truth struck me - they were dead.
I packed my bag and left that place, leaving every last bit of my innocence behind. I travelled from place to place, lived on the street, and stealing became my main source of income. I have seen every aspect of darkness in this world, to a point where I was indifferent, even of death.
The violence continued to grow within my blood and I decided to use that to my advantage. I went on to become a beat cop. Preston Grosso, that's what they call me. I worked in Doylesburgh, every day I would make my routine patrol, and spend the rest of my time in the bar.
Today was different though. Using all my information sources, I was eventually able to find out the killer of my parents. And that is why I am here, at a town that I've once lived in and loved, with a gun in my hand and my finger on the trigger.

anabell4848
anabell4848

War, guns, murders, alcohol, and women - I never intended to waste my life on any of these things, yet they are what my life is filled with. So how did I become known as the beat cop in Doylesburgh? I have no clue.
When I was 10 years old, my parents died in an "accident". A kind and generous family adopted me. They showered me with love and understanding but I never opened my heart to them. 8 years later, without even saying goodbye, I left to join the army. Over the next 15 years of my life I became an exceptional sniper, killing numerous big figures in the political world before they were able to caused any significant harm to the world. I took pride in my ability to kill and my vast knowledge of firearm weapons, that is, until the single and final great failure of my army sniper career in the Hitler-assassination-mission. After that mission I left the army and hit rock bottom. I drank until I couldn't drink any more, and I stayed with a different woman every night. Finally one day, a very good friend, Gustav Macklin, told me to stop punishing myself. He told me to do something productive with my life instead of wasting it on drugs, alcohol and women. Then he punched me so hard I fell to the floor and stayed there for 30 minutes, clearing my head and figuring out what I should do with my life.
I started spending my day at Gustav's bar more and more often until I basically spend my whole day there. I help out young detectives with cases they get stuck on that involve guns, and I still try to contribute something to the community.

ms helen
ms helen

The contest is now closed, and the judging is well underway so hopefully I should have the results for you all in a couple of days. Very big thank you to everyone who has entered, I had no clue so many people would give it a go :)

anabell I have to ask was the time you posted intentional? :)

Secret_Squirrel
Secret_Squirrel

I hope so lol.

Good luck to all the contestants. Good luck to the judges.

anabell4848
anabell4848

@ms helen, lol yes it was intentional, you did specify that 23:59 was the deadline.

ms helen
ms helen

Sorry about the delay folks, my fault entirely I promise you :)

Without further ado:

The winner of 'A day in the life....'

Hollin

Congratulations Hollin you are the winner of a 3 month subscription and a special item from admin.

Second place

Belami

Congratulations Belami you are the winner of a 2 month subscription and a special item from admin.

Third Place

Likare

Congratulations Likare you are the winner of a 1 month gift sub and a special item from admin.

(Prizes will be handed out as soon as possible by Secret Squirrel.)

A big thank you to everyone who entered, it was a lot of fun reading everyopne's entries and a tough job picking the winners. I haven't forgotten that I promised all entrants a little something, I just need to get confirmation from our favourite rodent first :)

Another big thank you to the judges; Anikka, Fletchi and Develin for taking time out of their busy schedules to help judge this contest.

Finally I hope everyone had fun writing/reading the stories as that was the ultimate aim of this contest.

Hollin
Hollin

Oh my gosh, thank you so much!! Congrats to the other winners too, awesome job!

Secret_Squirrel
Secret_Squirrel

*mutters to self about not reading the fine print*

Secret_Squirrel
Secret_Squirrel

well done to: all the contestants,
place getters
the organizers,
and the judges.

I'll ah distribute those 'items' as soon as, well, let's be frank, I've made them :)

[ You must login to reply ]

Login Help