Community - Message Boards

Message Board Game Room

CONTEST: 'A Day in the Life.....'

ms helen
ms helen

Hello, fellow Gumshoes!

Have you ever wondered what the Morgue Assistant really does with all those cadavers? Maybe you've wondered why Preston spends all his time in the bar?

We'd like to know what really goes on during the day-to-day life of some of our most well-known townies - and this is where YOU, my fellow gumshoes, come in.

We want you to write a story about a day in the life of a Townie. You may pick ONE of the following:

Pawn Broker
Beat Cop
Bartender
Reporter
Morgue Assistant
Tobacconeer

This contest is open to everyone, whether subscribed or unsubscribed.

THE RULES

Stories must be written in either first or third person.

Stories must not be longer than 1 forum post.

One Story per detective, and you may NOT use alt detectives to submit more.

Spelling and Grammar ARE important. Remember, Spell Check is your friend!

No Plagiarism, we expect your story to be completely your own work.

Please, remember the game is set in the 1950's, so no cell phones, personal computers/laptops, etc.

Also remember this is a detective game, so some form of mystery in the story will net you extra points.

The Judges: Anikka, Develin, Fletchi, and Ms. Helen. In the event of a tie our beloved Squirrel will have the deciding vote.

THE PRIZES:
1st Prize: 3 month sub + special item
2nd prize: 2 month sub + special item
3rd prize: 1 month sub + special item

Plus, anyone who posts a worthy entry (ie, NOT: i iz entering cuz i wanna win) will get a special little something too.

DEADLINE:
31st October 2010 (23:59 or 11:59 PM Server time)

Please post below if you have any questions. Please post your entry into this thread.

Good luck, all!

Replies
Belami
Belami

oh, okay. thanks, ms. helen! :)

Belami
Belami

Hi, my name is Patricia Rudisill and I'm one of the senior staff reporters at the local paper. A few of my investigative pieces have won awards and I'm proud of my plaques and certificates. My career gives me a lot of satisfaction, especially since my parents never thought I'd amount to anything and even laughed at me sometimes while I struggled in school. Now, after all this time as a journalist, I still get a thrill every time I see my name in the paper.

I'll never forgot my first murder investigation. I stood just outside of the roped area and scribbled my notes. It was horrible, watching the draped body being placed carefully into the ambulance, listening to the mean gossip from neighbors gathered together in tight little clumps, seeing the husband, shirt and hands still bloody, being taken away in handcuffs. It didn't seem real. But I went home and wrote my piece, and later on, even got to interview the victim's parents. I felt as though I were inside of a real live throbbing story then and I've been hooked on the crime beat ever since.

Sometimes things get slow around here. I itch to write a good story and see my name in the paper and maybe even have a chance at one of the big jouranlism awards. That's how it started out, my...helping things along. Someone who was gonna die anyway. Something that was gonna get burned down anyway. Something that would make a good story.

Everybody is amazed at how I am the first reporter on scene at such times. "You have a nose for news," they say. But that's not it. It's just that I really, really love my job. It's such a thrill to see my name in the paper.

dr dover
dr dover

A description / character definition: PRESTON GROSSO, Beat Cop

After the last false accusation, there wasn't much left professionally for Detective Grosso. Police detective status slowly evaporated. Fiance disappeared. No brothers, sisters, family... Now there's no more Detective Grosso. Just a beat cop with an intricate knowledge of all things related to a pistol. The detective money will always be there for Grosso, but money coult easily be a grain of salt for Grosso. Money wasn't nothing. A bed, bath, mirror for shaving, a couple of cheap suits. Grosso's in heaven. With the alcohol problem, the force wouldn't let him back into a court room in fear that he may be overwhelmed by an attorney trying to make his name. But with Grosso's knowledge, the force didn't want him working for the wrong people, either. So Detective Grosso is now Beat Cop Grosso, with a Detective's Pay. Only giving his insight to the private eyes that somehow gain his trust and sympathy, Grosso isn't doing bad for himself, financially. But nowadays, Grosso is all about pulling in the money and fulfilling his own deceptive desires, but still holding a grudge against the force that turned their back on him. Not one to be trusted, Grosso can be found in his corner of the bar holding court with his street connections (wannabees, fixers, crooks, good guys, bad guys, weak, strong,...) and endless detective migrations aimed at getting a piece of his mental library and priceless connections. For a price, Grosso's there for you. He knows the ins and the outs. Especially with pistols. But make sure you know what you're asking about prior to your visit with Grosso, otherwise you may be on your own.

Svetlana Smith
Svetlana Smith

Reply deleted by Moderator.

Svetlana Smith
Svetlana Smith

Svetlana Smith
Svetlana Smith

Svetlana Smith
Svetlana Smith

Svetlana Smith
Svetlana Smith

Svetlana Smith
Svetlana Smith

Svetlana Smith
Svetlana Smith

8 am. Driving up the coast from Chandler Bay towards North Christie, Emmett Lundstrom contemplated the day ahead in Wanstroth's Department Store. He drove inland through the urban sprawl of the suburbs - averting his eyes from the dubious characters who seemed to collect on every corner even at his hour - towards his spiritual home. Every day the joy of ascending the polished marble steps then hearing his footsteps fall to silence on the thick pile of Wanstroth's signature green and gold carpets.

In this city everyone's nerves were on edge. Every day a new murder hit the front pages. The women resorted to pills - and family doctor bills soared. The men opted for the age-old remedy of a drink or a smoke. And Emmett could certainly help with the latter! Yes, people came from all over to purchase Emmett's fine cigars and pipe tobacco. But there was one day, that very special day, which changed Emmett's life forever. The day when the overworked, overstressed desk sergeant from Doylesburgh police station rode over on the tram to try out the merchandise for himself. Treading quietly on the green and gold he caught Emmett unawares. 'Ahem' said the officer. And Emmett puffed, choked and laid down his fragrant pipe. 'That smells kinda interesting. Do ya mind if I try?' queried the officer. And how could Emmett refuse? 'Well, well, well ...' he held Emmett's gaze. 'That really is an unusual aroma'. Emmett's heart galloped like a Derby winner. 'You're a special guy, Emmett' said the desk sergeant moving closer, 'and I'm thinking you and me could be very good for each other, sweetie.' The sergeant moved behind the counter and whispered in Emmett's ear. 'I gotta proposal for ya'. ...Thus began a marriage of mutual benefit where Emmett's creative activities with plant life were overlooked in exchange for helping the Doylesburgh PD: tobacco residues at the scene of the crime indeed. But to this day Emmett could not answer the last question put to him by the desk sergeant: Why did none of the women in this city smoke? Now th

[ You must login to reply ]

Login Help