Community - Message Boards

Sleuth Talk

SHOWDOWN SUGGESTIONS

Svetlana Smith
Svetlana Smith

Yes - I know - everyone seems to have a bundle of suggestions regarding showdowns. Just adding a few of mine into the mix.

Previous posts on the message boards suggest that one of the major topics is how to get more players competing. I wonder what the general opinion is regarding the following?

1. Instead of simply awarding a challenge point to the winner (and it's rarely more than 1 point since there are rarely more than 4 players max), award 3,2 and 1 points to first, second and third places respectively ...BUT only if there are at least 6 sleuths playing. If fewer than 6 players, points go only to the winner as usual.

This might encourage more people to join in since, at present, only the winner gains anything (apart from enjoyment of the game of course). It might also encourage a greater number of less experienced players to take part if they feel they have a better chance of at least securing a place occasionally.

2. I noticed that back in May this year there was a special showdown specifically for less experienced players. See post at :shades.playsleuth.com/community/boards/post.spy?id=6614
I'm wondering how successful this was and if it would be worthwhile to run again? Also... it might be an interesting idea to have occasional 'special' showdowns that are specifically for different levels of experience. It would be good to see how members of the 4 million xp club do against each other!

3. On the day of the recent Fall Showdowns a reminder message was sent to our Detective Pages. It ran across the top of the page - similar to the message you get when you gain a new achievement. Perhaps this could be done when there are lots of players online and a showdown is about to start in 5 or 10 minutes? This could be piloted for a few weeks to see if it makes any difference. I know that I frequently miss the start time for showdowns and arrive in the lobby too late!

Replies
Detective Joseph Chen
Detective Joseph Chen

If there were more showdown organizer or players could create own private showdowns by inviting friends and other players, that would be nice too.

@Sara:
I know exactly how you feel because majority of the players are in the opposite timezone as me.

Missy M.
Missy M.

I definitely would like to play more "supported" showdowns like the Fall SD at the end of September!!! I'm somewhere around 600k exp. and I miss the challenge factor as the cases are much too easy now.... I believe a new level of cases only opens at 1 million exp. points.... The chance of winning prizes in a SD - and competiting with other detectives - will bring much more joy to the game! It's too bad that most SD are cancelled because no one is playing...

Missy M.
Missy M.

By the way, the remarks 1 and 3 are very well mentioned, Svetlana!

Weslen
Weslen

Good suggestions Svetlana.

One way to encourage more people to play showdowns might be to make them free (ie: not counted as part of your daily case allowance).

I'm sure the developer's don't want to give everyone a further 23 cases per day though, so maybe it could be restricted.

For example:

Unsubscribed - You get 2 showdowns that don't count towards your daily limit.

Subscribed - You get 6 showdowns that don't count towards your daily limit.

After you've used your 'free' showdowns, you can still compete in further showdowns but they count towards your case limit.

This might encourage more unsubscribed players to join in and also offers a further incentive to subscribe.

TEALY
TEALY

I am an avid showdown competitor, and I must say, that I LOVE them. However, not when I am the only one playing. Unfortunately, this is often the case. I really think, that the problem with lack of showdown players, has to do with people not knowing when they take place. I liked the idea, of placing a banner. letting people know five to ten min, before the SD begins. However, honestly, I rarely look at the top of my screen while I am playing. So, perhaps...if others wouldnt find it too disruptive...there could be a mass instant message or smail, sent to players...instead?

DiGris
DiGris

Regular showdowns occur every hour, and most people know this much at least. One problem you'll find is that when you do enough showdowns, you have several points left to spare, that can easily be more than you're likely to spend for quite a while. For this reason, the points enough may be less of an incentive for older sleuths to participate.

Trying to make showdowns more than every hour, and the announcement for regular showdowns, would just make the situation more severe, as the more showdowns that are possible to accomplish a day, the less likely you'll find people wanting to do showdowns at the same time, and also the more points which would be given out, detracting from the desire to play more showdowns when you have an excess of at least 40 points.

Announcing every showdown that will possibly occur via a game pop-up will detract from the possibility that people will finish their cases in time, and probably make it more likely that people end up giving up on this game altogether as the pop-ups get excessive.

Unfortunately, the only way I can see of anything better occurring with showdowns is if the admins can make more of the host showdowns, but this puts excess pressure on the game developers which might slow down other changes that might be implemented in the game. Not only this, but increasing the number of host showdowns too much will inevitably lead to too many of the advanced items being out and about, detracting even further from showdowns taking place.

Svetlana Smith
Svetlana Smith

I suppose there will always be pros and cons with most suggestions for change.

Yes, most people know that showdowns take place on the hour - but they can still be easy to miss if your mind is involved in a case. Some kind of 'alert' might be useful occasionally (say only when 40 plus people are online and the showdowns have been quiet all day) then agents can quickly store current case in order to do the showdown if they wish. That would only work for subscribed players, of course. The fact that potentially more people would be involved (rather than the usual 2 to 3) might make it more of an event and thus more attractive...? Of course, it is also possible to simply smail other players to take part together and I have both received and sent such messages.

One more suggestion for the mix: how about offering a choice of 'prize' to the winner? Since typical Favour rewards (e.g. Scotch) seem to be one of the current prizes, how about also offering skill points? This might be something that the 'older sleuths' would find attracive since skill points take so much longer to earn as experience level rises.

[ You must login to reply ]

Login Help