Community - Message Boards

Sleuth Talk

Most Popular Backgrounds

Sleuth Admin
Sleuth Admin

Out of curiosity, I ran a report to rank the backgrounds in order of popularity.

Here is the list, if you count all Sleuths ever created:
#1 Burglar
#2 Reporter
#3 Police Detective
#4 Dilettante
#5 Doctor
#6 Lawyer

The gap between Doctor and Lawyer is huge (no word on cowboys). All told, there are about 4 times as many Reformed Burglars than Retired Lawyers.

Interestingly, if you only look at players who reach 100EXP, Dilettante jumps into the lead.

At 10K, Reporter grabs and maintains the lead.

At 100K, here's the lineup:

#1 Reporter
#2 Dilettante
#3 Burglar
#4 Police Detective
#5 Lawyer
#6 Doctor

Anybody find these surprising? No doubt Reformed Burglar grabs the attention more than some of the other choices, but do these numbers make sense from a game perspective? Personally, I think Lawyer is one of the better backgrounds, particularly early on (which is when backgrounds matter most).

Replies
Detective Joseph Chen
Detective Joseph Chen

@Sleuth Admin:

Are you thinking of adding highscore lists by Background? ^_^

Secret_Squirrel
Secret_Squirrel

you know I've had to go and see what my background actually is - Disillusioned Police Detective... well there you go. :s I'm sure I put a lot of thought... nah let's be honest it was probably just random button mashing. :)

DiGris
DiGris

Well, the facts I've come across suggest an almost need for, in the later cases, and at least to make money, 5 of each charm and intimidate, 3 of research, and 4 judgment of character for asking the questions you need asked.

Generally speaking you'll use 3 lockpicking, at least, to get through most cases as the keys aren't exactly plentiful, but then you usually only need these 3 lockpicking skills.

Moving into the evidence, you'll want as much as possible, but you may want to spend at least a bit on negotiation to talk the expenses down even more.

This being said, the reformed burglar has a great advantage over many of the other backgrounds, and as most of the time in early cases, you don't benefit from the negotiation skill, it becomes rather clear as to why the reformed burglar might take precedence over the Dilettante.

DiGris
DiGris

And even early on I'd say, no, the lawyer was not one of the best backgrounds. Early on, you rarely have to use the questioning skills, as it is relatively easy to get all the information you need from the suspects early on without resorting to these skills, so early on, you can generally discount charm, intimidation, judgement of character, and negotiation, these skills becoming more valuable when you get higher in levels, but as the points are lacking from the lawyer, this loses considerable value. And negotiation, while useful, is by no means necessary for the easier cases, this all resulting in the lawyer being one of the least played if not the least played character background.

Sleuth Admin
Sleuth Admin

Actually, I was just looking for an excuse to buff Lawyer! And you've all played into my hands nicely.

I would like to propose raising one of these skills by one level for starting lawyers:

Judge of Character: 7 sp
Research: 10 sp
Negotiation: 7 sp

This would bring more parity in each of the background's starting skill values.

If we do this, would it be fair to also credit existing lawyers with an equal number of skill points?

Also, do people generally agree that Negotiation is under powered? If so, it would be easy to increase it's effectiveness a bit.

thesuperdetective546
thesuperdetective546

speaking for myself, i never thought negotiation was helpful. as for the raising the skill points i would think of adding on a research. it has helped me a lot in harder cases when i was looking for motive or whereabouts. i think that everyone who started with lawyer before should also get that extra point.

Detective Joseph Chen
Detective Joseph Chen

yes, its fair to credit existing lawyers with an equal number of skill points.

Negotiation helps in lower the price of equipments like coats, bribing & false accusations, but if players doesn't have any problem in getting money through solving cases, then yes, its under powered, but if you tweak the skill a little bit, let say:

Players can negotiate with a specific townie (could be a new townie) during a favor point to have them switch to offer another favor, with higher level negotiation skill means the more percentage of townies offering another favor will offer players a chance to get new favors offered.

Level 1 - 5\% of the townies will switch to another favor
Level 2 - 10\%
Level 3 - 15\%
Level 4 - 20\%
Level 5 - 25\%
Level 6 - 30\%

But then, this will basically benefit those players in an agency. For those who are not in an agency, maybe you have something else in mind. ^_^

Detective Joseph Chen
Detective Joseph Chen

Forgot to mentioned that one of the best player that I know - Smarty who is previously #1 use Retired Lawyer background. If she stayed on playing, I'm sure she will be a good example for those new players who chooses Retired Lawyer as a background.

Luke™
Luke™

@Joseph:
You forgot that Droid is also one of the best player with Retired Lawyer background.

Droid
Droid

I'm not really one of the besy Luke; I've just done a lot of cases, most of them beginners since all I'm interested is doing steps in treasure hunts.

I've got 25 unspent skill points, don't want analysis skills as I don't want to spend time in the flop house.

[ You must login to reply ]

Login Help