Community - Message Boards

Newbie Questions

Witness Evidence

Tessa F
Tessa F

How dependable is witness evidence? For instance, are witnesses able to provide evidence that may not lead you to the actual killer?

So basically, if I'm lucky enough to find someone to give witness evidence right away in my IH case (which I actually just experienced), does it mean I have found the killer?

Replies
Detective Joseph Chen
Detective Joseph Chen

There's a saying "People lies, but evidence doesn't lie", you should think about it and try to follow this rules when you do your cases, but always remember:

3 stars + Fake Alibi = Killer

Tessa F
Tessa F

Thank you!

kivaas
kivaas

Actually I experienced "fake alibi + at least one star" = killer, because all the possible other stars (from evidence of any kind) always belonged to someone with a real alibi (and the missing stars for the killer might be from a dead suspect's witness evidence).

However, I only know up to IH cases, so maybe later it's possible to have several people with fake alibis AND stars...

Detective Joseph Chen
Detective Joseph Chen

@kivaas:
There's actually such occasion previously, but it was not designed properly that in an Almost Impossible case level, so Sleuth Admin removed it.

The reason is because there can be up to 2 dead suspects only in AI cases & because of this, if there's more than 1 PE matching to different fake suspects, there's no way to narrow down the killer.

^_^

kivaas
kivaas

I thought that it might have changed... I think when I first came to Shades of Mystery about a year ago or so, I did actually encounter it once or twice. Then I haven't played for a long time, and when I came back 2 months ago, I only got cases where the PE either matches the killer or someone with a real alibi.

But it's a pity I think, the game would be more interesting (and challenging) if you would really have to check everything in order to find your three stars. By just verifying the alibi and getting at least one star (and knowing that you're safe with accusing) is much less of real detective work...

As it is for dead suspects - well, when the case is called "almost impossible", it might be meant to be almost impossible... and if you have two dead suspects, you can have two necromancy, so that's not a problem after all... you just have to wait until you know all names of the fake alibis and only then go to talk to the spirit.

I normally try to avoid suspects dying, anyway.

Detective Joseph Chen
Detective Joseph Chen

@kivaas:

You've misunderstand the situation, what I meant was that there's 2 dead suspects and I have 3 PEs, which all 3 matches to 3 of 5 fake alibi suspects (in which the other 2 fake alibi suspects died).

With only 2 necromancy skills, I can only ask for proofs from the 2 dead suspects against Suspect 1, leaving suspect 2 and 3 not knowing whether the dead suspects has WE against them or not, in the end, that became a dead end case.

If you only have 1 PE (considering that you've check and re-check the crime scene for missing PE and you didn't found any), then which ever fake alibi suspect that matches this PE definitely will be the killer & by asking both the dead suspects for proofs and also the rest of the other suspects for proofs will guarantee you 3 stars or more.

If you have 2 PEs, you can still narrow one down by asking all suspects and that 2 dead suspects on proofs against suspect 1, if all doesn't have proofs against this suspect 1, then suspect 1 has been ruled out and you can safely accuse suspect 2.

But if you have more than 2 PEs, then it has become dead end cases. ^_^

Hope you understand what I'm trying to explain here.

Tessa F
Tessa F

Okay now that I think about it, I'm still confused.
So basically, my original question is this:

Is it possible to receive WE that leads to someone who isn't the killer? I'm assuming it is.

Detective Joseph Chen
Detective Joseph Chen

yes its possible, however, no matter how hard you tried, you won't get 3 stars on those non-killers (with one special condition that's unless he/she has a real alibi). Then you can get more than 3 stars on them.

kivaas
kivaas

Oh, I thought necromancy works in a way that it wakes up the spirit of a dead suspect and I could ask as many questions as I wanted (via charm/intimidation)... but as I see now, it seems to be only one question per necromancy. Quite illogical, anyway...

But I actually HAVE read somewhere in the forum that you must/can use charm and intimidation on spirits - and if you use the proper one, you should have at least 2 questions, right?

Detective Joseph Chen
Detective Joseph Chen

no, it will only give you two question provided you used the correct manipulation AND you have level 2 Necromancy.

That's what I've been trying to tell Sleuth Admin about this skill, as it doesn't work on its own, instead need to be used together with manipulation.

^_^

[ You must login to reply ]

Login Help