Community - Message Boards

Newbie Questions

Using Skills (Found in Help?)

Detective Joseph Chen
Detective Joseph Chen

These information can be found in the help link, next to the logout link.

Using Skills

Charm: Make a suspect or witness talk by being nice.

Intimidation: Make a suspect or witness talk by being mean.

Judge of Character: Determine whether somebody will respond better to Charm or Intimidation.

Lock Picking: Open a locked door without a key.

Negotiation: Lower the prices you must pay for most goods and services.

Research: Search through records to find information about a suspect. You can research in the following locations:
* Doylesburgh Police Station
* The Daily Monitor
* Spade Central Hospital

Code Breaking: Unravel meaning buried within a coded message. You must find a quiet place to concentrate to use this skill.

Necromancy: Speak with the dead to learn what secrets they took with them to the grave. You can only commune with the very recently departed.
Evidence Analysis Skills

You need time to spare and a quiet place to concentrate for these skills.

* Hair Analysis: Determine if hair evidence is from a curly or straight haired person.
* Thread Analysis: Determine if fabric evidence is from a man's coat or a woman's.
* Handwriting Analysis: Determine if handwriting evidence is from a left or right handed person.
* Footprint Analysis: Determine if footprint evidence is from a heavy or slim person.
* Cosmetic Analysis: Determine if a lipstick stain is of a dark or light shade.
* Tobacco Analysis: Determine if tobacco ashes came from a pipe or a cigar.

Replies
kivaas
kivaas

As an ex-thief, I have tobacco & cosmetic analysis.

The nice thing about tobacco is that I needn't even meet the suspect at home to find out what he smokes, I just see if the evidence I collect at his place is a pipe or a cigar. So I know if I should check his evidence already after searching his house.

The bad thing about lipstick is that the samples seem to look the very same, no matter whether it's dark or light. So I must wait to meet the suspect in person first before I can decide to check her evidence or not.

Detective Joseph Chen
Detective Joseph Chen

exactly what you said, that's the reason why certain analysis are in better use then others.

Mr. Bob Adrian Monk
Mr. Bob Adrian Monk

how do you use those analysis?

Detectivu Lu Peste
Detectivu Lu Peste

Mr. Bob, go to Flop House (Doylesburgh), rent a room and 'inspect evidence'.

AnnieOakley
AnnieOakley

Why is it that I don't earn skill points on a lot of my solved cases?

Detectivu Lu Peste
Detectivu Lu Peste

For Annie: You get skill points according to your experience level, 1 skill point coming with a certain number of experience points earned. This matter was discused before here: http://shades.playsleuth.com/community/boards/post.spy?id=333&first_record=45760

For Joseph Chen: You better write a `how to use the search button` thread, so you won't need to post so many links. Of course, assuming that people know how to read, something that would be to doubt, but you seem overly optimistic.

Detective Joseph Chen
Detective Joseph Chen

lol...i think many players don't know or don't use the 'search' button, but i'm trying my best to help them.

zpnwhm
zpnwhm

I don't get it. It says that I don't have any physical evidence to inspect right now. Help!

zpnwhm
zpnwhm

How do you use the Necromancy skill? I'm so confused! All I have fr evidence left is hair... And i don't even know how to inspect it. Is there anybody that coud help me out here?

Thanks!

Really Red
Really Red

zpnwhm: below are skills for your detective (which even you can check by clicking on the "Detective" page)

Charm: 2 / 12 (+1)
Intimidation: 2 / 12
Judge of Character: 1 / 5
Lock Picking: 1 / 8
Handwriting Analysis: 1 / 3
Negotiation: 1 / 6

So here as you can see right now you only have one Physical Evidence(PE) analysis skill i. e "Handwriting Analysis" which you can use to match with any threatening note you get from a fake alibi suspect..... now as you solve more and more cases you 'll earn skill points which you can use to learn the PE analysis skills from various townies, as per your liking.

[ You must login to reply ]

Login Help