Community - Message Boards

Sleuth Talk

Quick Poll on New Features

Sleuth Admin
Sleuth Admin

I'm working on a few smaller things right now, but there are three bigger updates that I'm considering. Which of these three sounds the most interesting to you?

1) Visitable in-game Agency headquarters where each agent can decorate to their tastes.

2) NPC Sidekicks that you earn who can help you with your cases. An example would be you could tell your sidekick to go stake out a suspect's house and search it when they leave, or question them when they arrive and automatically report back to you when they've completed their task.

3) Mini-puzzles for some skills, like a lockpicking mini game or a research puzzle.

4) More special/rare room types with puzzles built in that require solving to access their containers. I've got a few ideas about how these could be designed in such a way that the puzzles are fairly replayable so that they can continue to provide some challenge even after you've played them a few times.

Replies
RosieS
RosieS

OOO OOO ooo #4 for me.

Regards from Rosie

thesuperdetective546
thesuperdetective546

most definetly the sidekick

U. N. Owen
U. N. Owen

The sidekicks sound good.

Detective Esquire
Detective Esquire

1. 2. & 3. :-)

Monk as Stottlemeyer
Monk as Stottlemeyer

I would say 2 or 3.

Missy M.
Missy M.

Options 3 and 4 are perfect!

Shaunessy
Shaunessy

Option 2 then option 3
I really do like the surgeon idea as well as the changing your detective appearance. One of the reasons I really like Sleuth is because of its player interaction. Anything that allows the players to interact more with the game would be very cool.

Isadora Duncan
Isadora Duncan

i like the sidekick idead, but changing my detective wouldnt be too bad either...

Grace Lennox
Grace Lennox

Puzzles and mini-games (3 and 4) sounds fun.

Knife
Knife

@ Ben:

1) is certainly nice for decoration, but sounds like a lot of programming work, will probably slow down the opening of the agency window and is after all not really case-related. Should be rather low priority, I think.

2) might be interesting - BUT implementing it in a fair way will be VERY difficult. E.g. newbies tend to miss evidence and yellow notes, so if they send their automatic sidekick to a house, they will certainly find EVERY single piece there, which does not quite match their own scene searching abilities. Experienced players don't have this problem, as they do know how to use the TAB key. So they would gain much less by using a sidekick to search a house. If you send a sidekick to question a suspect, will he use up your charm/intimidation on a random basis? Or must the sidekick have his own skills? When the sidekick enters a suspect's house, must he buy a key, or does he have the lockpick skill? Will the sidekick's skills depend on yours, or not? When you send him to question a suspect, will he automatically ask for ALL info the suspect has, i.e. also about what he knows of other suspects? Or do you have to specify first what the sidekick is going to ask? E.g. "ask for alibi and only if it's obviously fake ask for leads?" or "ask for leads and then for the whereabouts of all yet-unknown suspects?" And how would you use this sidekick? Once per case? Or as often as you like? Will it be allowed to make use of the sidekick in showdowns? And finally: what will it cost to use the sidekick? Will it be like an extra skill you can learn somewhere, e.g. via asking a townie to train you a "convince somebody to do your work"-skill? A lot of very difficult issues, after all.

In my opinion, the only reasonable option to implement sidekicks would be that each detective may have one assistant, and when you tell the assistant to do something (e.g. "enter Xenia's house as soon as she goes out", or "question Albert as soon as he is home") that the game scene switches to the assistant at the proper game time which you have reached with the normal d

[ You must login to reply ]

Login Help