Community - Message Boards

Role Playing Stage

Nautical Ned, The Murdered Marinor

Tuppy
Tuppy

My lips tingled with salt as another gust of sea wind blew in from the ocean. Pulling my jacket closer, I asked Adrian how much longer this would take.
"Why don't you go back to the hotel while I finish this?" he offered gently, encircling the body, his camera clicking.

My friend Adrian was a p0lice photographer. We were staying in a little English seaside town, not my usual holiday of choice, due to a recent murder- that of old seaman Edmund Scurgebladder, known universally as Ned. As I walked back to The Mermaid's Necklace (a merely satisfactory hotel, but the best that was on offer) I considered the case. Ned had made many enemies whilst at sea, that was for sure, but their locations were mostly unknown (somewhere in the Pacific Ocean?). So far I had little to write in my newspaper article.

Replies
Tuppy
Tuppy

In the hotel foyer, I found Mad Margaret O'Ryan staring at me with her strange, unblinking eyes.
"Meddler!" she yelled abruptly, causing the hotel receptionist to stare.
"I'm sorry? Are you talking to me?" I asked.
"You're all meddlers- none of your business- poor old Ned!" she continued to shout. I tried to politely pass by, but she grabbed my sleeve and held me there.
"Poor old Ned! Poor old Ned! Meddlers! You don't know- nobody knows- and so you shouldn't know... Margaret won't tell, no, she won't tell. And if it was told, who would listen? It's only Mad Margaret, nobody listens to Mad Margaret! Won't tell... Poor old Ned! None of your business, meddler, none of your business- everybody meddlin'! You're all meddlers! Poor old Ned, but Margaret won't tell..."

Kezia Campbell
Kezia Campbell

As the receptionist, I felt I ought to do something at this point. I called Mrs O'Ryan's carer, and said that she was bothering a guest at the hotel.
"I'm so sorry, Margaret gets like that sometimes. She doesn't mean any harm. I'll come and pick her up." the carer said.

kayman116
kayman116

I heard shouting inside The Mermaids Necklace. I was here from my yearly trip to the beaches of England. I noticed Tuppy was there too.
I entered into the lobby and the reseptionist was trying to pry the ladies fingers from Tuppy's sleeve.
"Poor old Ned! Poor old Ned! Meddlers! You don't know- nobody knows" she was shouting at the top of her lungs.
"Hey!" I said, helping the reseptionist.
We got the lady off and the carer took her away. I looked at Tuppy. "And what brings you to the English sea side?" I asked.
Tuppy fixed her sleeve and said, "Murder. That woman knew him and must have been pretty distraught."
"Would you mind if I helped? My vacation was getting old anyway." I asked.
Tuppy looked at me as I waited for a reply.

Shaunessy
Shaunessy

Why, of course," she stammered. "Do I know you?"

Carl Trout
Carl Trout

I came back to my hometown for dad's funeral. The house was being used by police for murder investigations, so I stayed at the Mermaid's Necklace instead. I wasn't interested in the murder side of it, I just felt I should come, being his only son and all. He wasn't a great father, at sea all the time- he didn't know he had a son for months after I was born. I was an accident. But now I had a proper life, married with two children in Scotland. I hadn't thought about 'dad' for years, not until I got the phonecall about his death.

Marco Roshinski
Marco Roshinski

What the F***! (Or should I say "Bugg**!") These English screwballs don't know a nuthouse from the outhouse! The Mermaid's Necklace ain't the kinda joint I'd be caught dead in, but the pay was good and I don't mind eatin' fried fish, even if it IS fresh. If ya cooks it 'nuff, it ain't gonna kill ya, says me.

I guess ol' Magrat'll be okay once she gets a few sherries in 'er and calms down. She prob'ly saw the whole thing. Weak dames ain't used t' the sight o' blood, and a rottin' corpse ain't much better. Makes 'em nuts. Maybe she'll come 'round with somethin' useful. Maybe not, though - they almost always blocks it out - "Too painful." Whatever.

Still, at least Carl managed to show up to claim his inheritance (yeah! who'dathunkit?). Still, for that kinda dough, I'd kiss Nicholas' arse as he was blessing Absalom, thunderclap and all. He better be sad, cuz we all know if he ain't cryin' crocodile tears, then I'm a right fair-minded Yank.

MR.

Belami
Belami

I booked The Mermaid's Necklace because I liked the fanciful title, and wanted to get away from the city for a few days, where I'd been doing some sightseeing and visiting an old friend.

I was reading the paper and enjoying the fire in the lobby when Carl walked in. "That's odd," I thought. "He bears more than a passing resemblance to Margaret. Something in the features, and those strange gray-green eyes, like the color of the sea on a stormy day."

MirrorMirror
MirrorMirror

I got the call from Mums carer (Doris) telling me to come because Margaret was very distressed over the death of Ned. My boss knew about mum so I was able to take time off when necessary. I am ashamed to say that I had been so busy at work I had not talked or seen Mum in 2 weeks, just checked in with Doris.
As I drove the 2 hour journey to the seaside town I grew up in I thought about all the sacrifices Mum had made for me so that I could go to Uni. It wasn't easy being a single Mum back then, its different now - no one gives it a second thought. I thought of "Uncle Ned" who was a big part of my life, who was there for all the milestones in my life.
When I arrived at Mums she was sitting up in bed eating egg & toast soldiers quite calmly. Doris, her carer said "she calmed down after I told her you were on the way". I kissed Mum & said I'd be back when I had unpacked. I grabbed Doris & pulled her into my room. "What is going on? Have you called the Doctor? Has Mum had another scan? Has the frontal lobe tumour begun growing again?" Doris answered all my questions then said, "Ned's death really shook your mother up, I'll go make some tea for you both & you can have a nice chat".
Settled beside Mum she began to talk in a meek embarrassed voice - "I've never told you this before MM but you have a brother." My first thought was that Mum had a baby before me that she gave up for adoption, Mum interrupted this thought by saying "I had an affair with Ned, I knew it was wrong, I knew he was married & would not leave his wife, but I was so in love wit him I just couldn't help myself. Then I found out I was pregnant, Ned was so excited he wanted a whole brood of children."
She then reached under her pillow for a yellowed document and handed it to me. It was my birth certificate which I had never seen before. As far back as I can remember my ID has always been a passport. When I questioned Mum on this she always said "Darling I don't want you to be embarrassed because your fathers name is not on the certificate". My Mum always told me I was a result

MirrorMirror
MirrorMirror

of a one night stand & she never knew his name or saw him again.
I gasped as I read it father: Edmund Scurgebladder, then it dawned on me; my brother was Carl Trout Scurgebladder. He was 2 years younger than me but I remembered him from school being mercilessly teased about his name. I always stuck up for him or any underdog and because of that people thought we looked like cousins, actually come to think of it Mum and "Uncle Ned" had the same look about their eyes and how the held their heads.
Then she handed me a document from a lawyer in the next town - it was a will dated two weeks before his death naming both his son Carl Trout Scurgebladder & his daughter MirrorMirror Scurgebladder O'Ryan as co-beneficiaries. I looked up at Mum and she said "When I knew you were coming I called the lawyer and he said he would fax the current will to Carl's lawyers.

MirrorMirror
MirrorMirror

I woke up the next morning thinking of Carls mother & how this scandle would affect her.

[ You must login to reply ]

Login Help