Community - Message Boards

Sleuth Talk

Earning Skill Points - a suggestion

Lia Nance
Lia Nance

I've read quite a bit on how difficult it is to earn skill points later in the game and have started experiencing the drop off for myself. While I recognize that some of the intent may be to keep things from getting too easy, I find that it also removes a fun element from the game.

People play for different reasons. Some play to solve cases, to participate in the community (TH, agencies, etc), to grow their detective, or a combination of all of these. While the first two have plenty of opportunities, the third seems to almost disappear.

So my suggestion - Sleuth Academy
After a player reaches a certain exp level (100,000 for example) a new area could open up, allowing players to "learn" skill points in exchange for cash (tuition, if you will) and challenge points.

Example: Player X receives 1 skill point for $5,000 and 1 challenge point. Limit 1 class per cycle.

The player still has to earn money by playing cases or being part of a generous agency. Challenge points still have to be earned through THs or Showdowns. It adds value to the existing game play options while giving a new reward to spend on, and allowing those who want to keep learning skills (or correct an earlier error) the chance to do so.

It also allows for future skills to be added to the game later without penalizing long-time players who would find it difficult to scrape together enough skill points to learn them.

Just a thought.

Replies
Melody Anne
Melody Anne

Not a bad idea!

Detective Joseph Chen
Detective Joseph Chen

Good Idea but $5000 is a bit too little, probably $100000 at least.

jen plaidy
jen plaidy

Surely $100000 is a bit too much for us mere mortals, but $5000 probably is too little, maybe 30 to 40k would be a more realistic figure.

Isaac Mendez
Isaac Mendez

30k + 1 challenge point sounds like a good deal :D
I will ask Liz she seams good @ economics.

Liz Heller
Liz Heller

Thanks Issac :) I agree with 30-40k +1 challenge point. That would still make it fairly substantial to buy an entire skill level. It would also be nice to have further use for the challenge points. I'm pretty sure I could buy everything that requires a challenge point and still have some left over, and we haven't been able to earn them that long.

Kim Boudreau
Kim Boudreau

it would make negociation skill extra usefull

Detective Joseph Chen
Detective Joseph Chen

Definitely buying skill points is not the purpose of this game if you make it too cheap.

NatJanVel
NatJanVel

I think this is a very good idea. And it will also help those people who want to learn new skills. Maybe 5,000 is too little, but we can't go too high, for new people will can't afford it.

Kim Boudreau
Kim Boudreau

@Nat : new people don't need to buy skill points, they already get more than one a day. This suggestion is for people who like to see their detective grow and are frustrated to gain one skill point a week.

Lia Nance
Lia Nance

@Kim, Yes, exactly. A big part of the fun, for me anyways, is learning new skills. For a casual game, where someone might play an hour or so a day, it could means weeks before building up enough skill points to learn a new skill and that seems a little extreme.

The formula I used to come up with the 5,000 figure was the reward rate at the Incredibly Hard case level - the cost of occasional bribes. I estimated that it would take somewhere between 9-12 cases at that level to earn enough. That seemed reasonable for a casual game.

I haven't had a chance to play at the harder levels yet, so I don't know what the reward rates would be. However if they are significantly higher then I can see where my amount would seem much too low.

[ You must login to reply ]

Login Help