Community - Message Boards

Sleuth Talk

skill training priority

Kim Boudreau
Kim Boudreau

In what order are you training (or planning to) your skills.

I began with 4 intimidation wich was enough at first.
First I wanted to get 3 lockpick
Then I wanted at least one of every analysis
Then I trained three of negociation
Then I trained 4 of charm
Now I wonder what I should get next... any suggestion?

Replies
Melody Anne
Melody Anne

Judge of character?

Yin Yin
Yin Yin

I suggest either going for more research (3 research is my suggestions in case all suspects have clammed up and you still don't have the motive or you can always use it for whereabouts ) or more Charm and Intimidation in preparation for harder cases (your current C+I should be enough to get you through VH cases, you only need 2 more for IH and then 2 more again for SH). JoC is not that useful unless you get large quantities of them.

Liz Heller
Liz Heller

I have to agree with Yin Yin, (sorry Melody!). I think you've done a great job so far choosing which skills to get. 3x research is useful in a pinch if you run out of C/I for the motive. Then I would just continue building C/I for the harder case levels. I don't feel like JoC is worth the skill points (as you can see I don't have any). Here's the way I see it:

If you are going to use 14 skill points for the first JoC, you could easily wait to get even the most expensive C/I (18 I think). So you basically have a choice of 1 JoC or 1 C/I. If you get the JoC. you are guaranteed either 0 extra questions or 1 extra question because if you would have guessed right, the JoC is worthless and if you guessed wrong, you get 1 extra question. If you get C/I, you definitely get 1 extra question even if you guess wrong and possibly get 2 questions. So, my advice is to always pick C/I over JoC.

Azar
Azar

I agree with melody.
JoC is very useful especially in SH, RH cases, when You have to choose very wisely - I have 8I+6C=14 and 4JoC and RH case is not so very easy :)
Regarding to research - I don't have any and I don't need any :)

Melody Anne
Melody Anne

I find JOC and research useful.
But I use Joc a lot more than I use research.
Azar is right, Joc is important when you get to SH cases and every question counts.
But, it is all a personal choice.
I know a guy who has no int. or Joc, just a whole lot of charm.... :)

Detective Joseph Chen
Detective Joseph Chen

Charm/Intimidation - is a must, but depends on how well you use it and definitely, with JOC, you can get 2 instead of 1 answer from 3 out of 7 suspects. You could either use JOC with the right manipulation as early as possible to answer both Alibi+Lead, in hope to unlock as many suspects as possible. or you could keep it until the time u ask for proof, at least you can use it in case you've used all your research for whereabouts.

Hehe...wait till you get to harder cases, then you'll appreciate having JOC.

Sly Springstone
Sly Springstone

@Melody - Ehm... you're not talking about me are you? :)

It may be because Liz and I are at about the same level but I have to agree with her so far. The way I see it, JOC is something I would wait for and only get when/if I have strong levels of both charm and intimidation.

Until then, I'd rather spend my skill points on something that will get me information rather than waste it on something that will only tell me which is the better way to get that info.

Of course my opinion may change when I get to harder cases. I'll let you know when I reach 600k! :)

Liz Heller
Liz Heller

Sorry guys, I'm going to have to stick with my opinion. While JoC is useful if you don't have the option of getting another C/I, every time you get 1 level of JoC, you're not getting C/I with those skill points. Because with those 14-18 skill points you have a choice: 1 JoC or 1 C/I. Let's keep it basic and say I had 1 C and 1 I and I was deciding to get 1 JoC or 1 C. Now if I decide to get the JoC, I go to my suspect and use it, then I find out they like charm = end result 2 questions. Now if I decide that I want to get the charm, I go to my suspect and choose wrong by using int. first, now I know to use charm next = end result is 3 questions; if I guess right and use charm first = end result 4 questions. In both scenarios, I used two skills. It doesn't matter what level you're at, if you have to choose between Joc or C/I, C/I will always yield you more questions in the end.

Melody Anne
Melody Anne

To each their own.

And yes, sly, you are the man with all the charm around here..... :)

jen plaidy
jen plaidy

I'm with Liz and Sly on JOC, with the proviso that I make a note of how the suspects respond to manipulation.
I do like my research though, it means I can find suspects without having to ask townies who might have to verify alibis later.

[ You must login to reply ]

Login Help