Community - Message Boards

Sleuth Talk

Is Newbie boosting cheating?

Droid
Droid

If Id dump a whole pile of solved IH and RH cases in my agency for the rookies to take is it cheating?

Will it put them off playing for real because they don't get any skill points after the massive injection they get for "solving" those cases?

Replies
Miinck
Miinck

I have a suggestion. Let us stop mockery and retaliation by anybody on anybody. This has gone too far, and I don't think anybody here wants it. There is no point in getting each other hurt or aggravated. If we can't live in peace together, then there's no hope for the world either.

Rose Catherine
Rose Catherine

I also learned much and had a LOT of fun in ZO. I admit, I was a bit hurt at the way things went down when ZO dissolved, BUT, that was a while ago. I had been fine until I was contacted and insulted the other night. I am sorry that I made my first post on here, but, by the same token, I stand by everything I have said. I am also sorry that I am airing dirty laundry here.

So, Joseph, I apparently do not know you. I thought that I had, and I thought that you had known me, as well. I stand corrected. You managed to do something that very rarely happens... you managed to piss me off and hurt me at the same time. I am very rarely hurt, and I very rarely get angry. Congratulations.

Miinck, flbluejay, and jarrek: I apologize to all of you as well for somehow dragging this out in the open again. That was not my intention, and I do agree with you. I had a blast in ZO with everyone.

Cind: Miinck and flbluejay are quite definitely two different people, and neither of them is Joseph.

Cinderella
Cinderella

@Rose Catherine, I know the feeling of being pissed off and hurt.

Miinck
Miinck

We all know hurt, and in hurt we create more hurt. That's why we should stop.

jarrek lander
jarrek lander

lol droid I know ctown28 runs the radio and i have also been around awhile and seen who has been active for (this)game so I dont care who or what they think they are .....blast someone I respect and I am going to say something ..

Jonny
Jonny

First off, I believe an apology in order. Even though I stand by everything I said, the public boards isn't the place to do it. So for airing dirty laundry, I am sorry.

However, just because I (or anyone else) have only played a small number of cases doesn't mean I don't know how to play this game. Both me and ctown played in beta, and knew just about all we needed to know about the game before it went live. It wasn't the sort of game we wanted to play, so we went back to Noir. We helped shape how the game is played now, with some of the ideas in place coming from those who tested in beta. It wouldn't matter if you had played 500 or 5000 cases, it doesn't make my opinions any less valid.

Something that should also be known is that every issue that has come up here in shades came up 3-4 years ago in Noir. So we already know what the reaction is going to be and how it should be handled. This issue in particular (newbie boosting) was hotly discussed a number of times, and some who tried to get forceful about their right to play how they wished ending up leaving the game due to their unpopularity. Just because there isn't a rule in place that expressly prohibits a certain action doesn't mean its OK to do it. Its a judgement call. New players should be made to find their feet themselves. Sure, you can give them help, but throwing a bunch of high level cases at them is not helping. Even if thats what they want to do, its not in the spirit of the game. Its also the reason why players can't access AI cases off the bat. They aren't supposed to.

If you want to boost new players then fine. Until Ben decides to step in and stop it (if he wants to) then nothing that anyone can say is going to change it. But don't try and defend it as the right thing to do. If it was right, then anyone would be able to do it on their own.

Cinderella
Cinderella

@Miinck, I hope that you do stop. That would be a very nice thing to do.

John Roby
John Roby

Maybe i missed the boat on this one but! I think you get no where with out hard work even in video games, with all do respect to beta testing who cares about that. You play 5000 cases that means a lot! But at the same time i do think boosting is robing new players of the thrill of playing cases! Noir players do not come here acting like you own the game, make your suggestions but show respect! JR out

Detective Sissy Andrews
Detective Sissy Andrews

Keep fighting guys!!

OMG i'm not on the ZO's ex-players list O.o, i looked everywhere and tripled checked but nothing :S.

No one forces those advanced cases on anybody, if you wanna play SH and RH while you still making your way in sleuth then do it and if you want to stick to the cases you've unlocked on your own then turn down the difficult cases being offered to you..

Yes those who choose to play the given RH cases will climb the high score ladder faster than those who don't but i guess all is fair in love, war and sleuth and this game isn't about who solves the most number of cases it's rather about who has the most xp. So feel free to earn your xp anyway you like.

Noir veterans stop acting like you make and break the rules and stop making references to your beloved game, here we do what we want and play this game whatever way we like

Jojo
Jojo

I try not to comment much, but I finally shall, I guess...

Ah... How I love the Noir vs. Shades rivalry that has begun.

I believe you will find that ctown and Jonny (well, at least ctown -*smirk at Jonny*) are quite well respected by Ben.

Maybe I can have some valid response here? I play both Noir and Shades... and although I have stopped playing for the most part, I definitely am still watching the community and keeping track of what is going on.

My advice would be to never turn down advice. Jonny's point is quite valid. -- And may I point out to you that Ben nor Sunny play Shades or Noir, but they definitely still have quite an impact.

I've known Ben and these games for nearly 5 years. I was around from basically the beginning of Noir, and I started from round one of beta-testing here at Shades. Were it not for real-life things, I'd still be playing like a fiend.

Trust me when I say that there are going to be those who are going to find every loop hole in every rule. They're going to say that it's their right to do whatever isn't expressly against the rules. It's going to happen. -- Does that make it right? -- There is no concrete answer to that. What there is a concrete answer to, however, is that some things are not going to better the game. Start spoon feeding (quite literally), and people will get bored. Quickly. The game will lack excitement. The game will not be better for it. -- Leave some mystery in a mystery game (revolutionary idea), and you'll find lots of fun and enjoyment.

Everyone hates being a newbie and having to figure stuff out. But, honestly, everyone is a better player and furthers community because of it. Let newbies be newbies. Let them learn on their own. Sure, give a guiding hand when needed, but don't literally feed someone.

Always remember the spirit of the game, and you'll be fine.

~Jojo

[ You must login to reply ]

Login Help