Community - Message Boards

Sleuth Talk

Is Newbie boosting cheating?

Droid
Droid

If Id dump a whole pile of solved IH and RH cases in my agency for the rookies to take is it cheating?

Will it put them off playing for real because they don't get any skill points after the massive injection they get for "solving" those cases?

Replies
Melody Anne
Melody Anne

Interesting question, Droid.
I would like to hear what others think of this.
I agree it could put them off playing because of the skill point thing. Its nice to get a little help if you join an agency, but I know as a rookie, it was fun to uncover some things on my own.

bilbot-the-hommit
bilbot-the-hommit

Cheating = breaking the rules.

There is no rule that forbides "rushing" (i.e. feeding young players with RTA cases). So this is not cheating.

However it distorts too much the competition between detectives (especially when a millionaire detective gives RH cases to youngsters). That's why I proposed in Cinderella's thread to change the way points are given after a saved case is solved: experience points go to the saver, money goes to the solver. This will true to the intented use of saved cases: helping a young detective to solve a tough case.

Melody Anne
Melody Anne

good point, bilbot. I like that idea, saved cases have the Xp points go to the saver. Makes sense.

Hasegawa Takashi
Hasegawa Takashi

Hmm.. not really, because you can store cases without making them rta, which is much better for newbies anyway i think if you want to boost their career as good case solvers. With the change proposed I could store a new case and let somebody else solve it and still get the xp.

Cinderella
Cinderella

I guess that until Ben writes some rules that we are kinda free to do what we want.

Droid
Droid

Hasegawa Takashi, you'd only be getting the XP for a case you could do anyway though rather than 2560XP (and over 100 skill points) for a RH case that you wouldn't be able to get as you don't have the contacts open yet. I like Bilbot's idea.

bilbot-the-hommit
bilbot-the-hommit

@Hasegawa
When the saver gets the xp, (s)he can get only experience for cases, (s)he is able to create (according to his/her level or unlocked townies). So you won't see a young detective having more than 10,000 exp, after playing his/her first 4 cases.

On the other hand, being able to have more than 10,000 exp, after only 4 cases, would be a good reason to subscribe and join a "4 million" agency, although it would mean a good part of the fun of building a new detective.

It is impossible for a machine to tell whether a case has been made RTA (ready to accuse) or not. Hence the simple solution, I gave.

bilbot-the-hommit
bilbot-the-hommit

oops: it would mean "wasting" a good part of the fun ...

Hasegawa Takashi
Hasegawa Takashi

@Droid
Only if the RH is indeed made rta. Bilbot could tell how easy it would be to actually solve it with newbie skills, literally.

Hasegawa Takashi
Hasegawa Takashi

@Bilbot
Perhaps I'm too drawn to relate xp to experience, and experience to actually doing cases.. I don't know about Shades implementation but why should it be impossible to detect rta stored? Can't you detect who stored it, whether changes have been made, and whether some of certain "characteristics" apply after the changes?

[ You must login to reply ]

Login Help