Community - Message Boards

Sleuth Talk

Some stats on SoM

bilbot-the-hommit
bilbot-the-hommit

My PC was kind enough to get all detectives stats. So I can give you some rough numbers on the SoM community.

Players: 220,000

Subscribers: 1.5 °/oo (i.e. around 300 people or 2K$ a month)

Active players: 10\% ("active" means connected at least 1 time in the last 30 days or something like that)

1 of 5 player doesn't go through all the "create your new detective" pages (their detective is listed as "new_detective"). Ben could save 20\% of SoM's disk space by getting rid of those detectives.

average solved cases: 9

Replies
Detective Joseph Chen
Detective Joseph Chen

but what about those who already subscribed for at least a month & later unsubscribe due to financial problems?

lol...i know the $9 is not much (to some people), but to others, it seems a lot, especially for new players, it could take more than a month to get use to solving the cases.

Better have 2 servers, one for subscribed, one for unsubscribed.

Petrelli
Petrelli

I agree a bit.. but then again: after half a year you spend the same amount of money as you would on a blockbuster game like C&C.
So, apart from agreeing... I do think there should be a 'final stop' somewhere on the payments.. ie free after paying for a year or something ;)

Cinderella
Cinderella

There is no final stop for Ben. Unless the game would close. Many people don't know how much it take to do programming. Not only that but having to worry about the site and the complaints. I think that it is well worth it. There have been people unsubscribed that have played for months. You alway can afford what you want to afford. I am on a very limited budget. I ccould spend my money else where. I love this site and know that Ben works hard. He deserves to be reimbursed. I say that if you can't afford the $9.00 a month then you can't really be that interested in the game. Think about take out food for one time a month. How about cable. I don't have cable. How about going to the movies. It is not like Ben makes you pay for a year at a time. One thing about Sleuth is that you never know what is going to happen next. A Blockbuster game will be eventually solved. How many CD does everyone have. You buy what you really want to buy. I appreciate Ben having sleuth. i have not seen a game as well as this that is online.

For those who have subscribed and have to unsubscribe for a while, just ask Ben to put your detective on hold and not delete it. Then when you are ready to sub it again it is here. But I would say that after 6 months in my book, it should be gone.
No aren't you glad that you have someone like Ben doing this site instead of me. Ben needs to live and eat the same as everyone else.
Just my opinion

bilbot-the-hommit
bilbot-the-hommit

@Cinderella: I don't want to patronize you, but here is a little marketing lesson:

To make a living as an entrepreneur, you need as much customers as you can serve.

The best strategy to get those new customers, is to give freebies to prospective buyers. Some will get hooked and shell out their hard earned money. With only a 1.5°/oo rate, you do need to attract a *lot* of gamers.

Hence the ability to play for free is *essential*, if Ben wants to get new customers. Besides advertisement brings some revenues to Ben too (although ads revenue should plummet down with the crisis).

What I notice digging the data, is that almost all old time players are now unsubscribed. This is the main problem of SoM: it is really fun when you play a new detective, but gets boring, once your detective is powerful enough to solve all cases without much thinking. You can maintain some interest by exploring other aspects of the game like running an agency, but it won't change the inherent boredom of case solving.

So the best way for Ben to make *more* money is to hook new players, not to try to maintain interest in older players (so far his recent tentatives failed for me :( Besides, I think, that $9 is a lot of money for a game still in development.

Bethany Jo
Bethany Jo

Cinderella - Some players may not be adults or people in charge of their own finances so they may not have the option to pay the $9 dollers a month.

In my case, I could subscribe if I really wanted to, but I won't because I don't spend all day online and so I wouldn't want to (or have time to) solve more than four cases per day. There's no real incentive for me to subscribe. There are lots of free games with optional premium/real money accounts on the internet. I'm guessing that such games must earn enough from ads to make it worthwhile having free accounts. I think this is a great game, but If SoM became subscribers only I wouldn't pay to continue playing.

Cinderella
Cinderella

Bethany,

Do you have TV? Do you watch it all day? Do you ever buy CD's? Do you listen to them all day. The clothes that you buy, do you wear them every day? The internet that you pay for, are you online constantly all day? I am on a low income and I find $9.00 a month. I don't have tv. A person unless in really, really bad shape and homeless has at least $9.00 to buy something that they really want. So I still don't buy the arguments.

Also you say that if SOM became subscribers, you wouldn't continue playing. Really what difference would that make to anyone but you since you are not contributing anything to the game? That is just how I feel.

edw
edw

With the revenue of providing adverisement at the same time, regular players can pay less for the first-class service here. If every player has to be subscribed, it is likely to see the subscription fee skyrockets after finding out subscription number doesn't.

That is not a regular player would like to see.

Alicia Duval
Alicia Duval

Cinderella, I'm glad that you have $9 a month spare to pay for something you love doing, but can't you be a little more tolerant of people with different financial situations and different priorities? At the moment I'm unemployed. When I was working I contributed a number of subscriptions to SoM and Noir, but right at the moment I can't really justify that outlay.

I'll answer your questions to Bethany:

Do I have a TV? Yes. It's paid for and doesn't cost me anything beyond the electricty as I don't have cable or satellite. Do I watch it all day? No.

Do I buy CDs? No, not at the moment. Or books (some of us do actually enjoy reading), or cinema tickets, or theatre tickets...

"The clothes that you buy, do you wear them every day?" I confess I'm not actually sure what this question means. Do I wear clothes every day? Um, yes... Do I buy new clothes at the moment? No.

"The internet that you pay for, are you online constantly all day?" I'm online a lot. I have a flat fee deal, so it makes no difference whether I'm online for eight hours a day or half an hour. I need the internet to keep in touch with my profession, email recruitment agencies etc etc so this is not an expense I can forego. I don't feel I can justify adding an extra fiver a month to this fee for one game (it used to be less but the exchange rates aren't favouring us in the UK at the moment). When I'm earning again, I'l probably subscribe again.

As edw says in the post above, Ben does get revenue from those of us who are not subscribed: he gets fees from advertisers.

Droid
Droid

Ben only gets income from the ads if people click on them and then it's only a couple of cents each time. Don't try to boost his income by repeatedly clicking on them though, Google ads detects that and can end up barring the site.

Cinderella
Cinderella

I live on $700.00 a month. I have to choose carefully how I spend my money.

[ You must login to reply ]

Login Help