Community - Message Boards

Sleuth Talk

Case Giver and Case File Changes

Sleuth Admin
Sleuth Admin

Three new changes have gone live today. Thanks to those of you who sent me feedback on these issues.

1) If you quit or are kicked out of an agency, any private case files are now marked as not-private. This is just to prevent private case files from sitting around forever when somebody leaves. All such existing stale files are now marked not-private as well (this is retroactive).

2) You are no longer allowed to store favor cases in Case Files. This change is not retroactive, so if you have favors sitting around in case files, they are still accessible. This change (along with #3 below) is meant to make treasure hunts more competitive and longer-lasting.

1) Most Case Giving Contacts now give you one less case option at a time.
15-39 = 1 Case offered
40+ = 2 Cases offered
The exception is your original Contact (Sergeant or Reporter), who will still offer 2-3 cases. The primary reason for this change is to make Treasure Hunts tougher (and hence worth doing), but it should also make contact building a little more interesting. I realise the downside of this is that older players had an easier path than newer players, but I think the positives outweigh the negatives on this.

Replies
Detective Joseph Chen
Detective Joseph Chen

thank you very much Ben ^_^

sufi 98.7fm
sufi 98.7fm

Reply deleted by Moderator.

john sathguru
john sathguru

Reply deleted by Moderator.

Droid
Droid

It's grinding to a halt again and there are only 67 players logged in according to the community page. Have you purged the New_Detectives that didn't complete creating a player? there were many thousands of them when Bilbot last checked.

Cinderella
Cinderella

Ben, It makes no sense to me that you cut back the amount of question that townies would answer. I don't think that this is fair due to the fact that we chose our skills according to what there rules were at that time. That is why we can choose our skills to see what is going to help us out. I don't like most of the new rules, I don't care who says what.

Take for example, We do our treasure hunts at eastern time 2:00 pm. Since I can't save favor cases, I can only do so many case from Midnight on until we do the treasure hunt. When we could save favors, we could do any amount of case not exceeding 30 with the treasure hunt cases, but we were not held up. I am asking you one more time to please rethink your changes.

Gerri
Gerri

Droid there are less than 60-50 cases today and I am insane with the amount of time it is taking. It has taken me most of the day just to get my three favors.

I also am surprised by the number of changes since we subscribed. Some I like (names on keys) but some I really dislike -- amount of time a new member takes to become a productive member of an agency. Your point system is punitive. This is a game and a more creative alternative should be found.

Are we paying to beta test? If so, I will not be renewing.

bilbot-the-hommit
bilbot-the-hommit

@Gerri:
Hypothetical Software is Ben's hobby project. He and other devoted a lot of time to Noir and SoM, but it seems that they don't have that many spare time left anymore.

A "proof" is, that Ben responds rarely to private messages (if ever :) and you'll see, that his replies in the forum are mostly on week-end days and sporadic.

Lots of small programming errors (like typos and malfunctioning features like the showdowns) are not corrected, although Ben is fully aware of them. I have a lot more in my bag, I didn't report, as Ben doesn't care for the easy ones, I reported.

Severals user interface weakness are still plaguing the game (sound, you can't disable for good, back button, which is in fact a "top" button, too many unnecessary clicks, ....)

For me, SoM is a half-done project: the beginning part is very good and can qualify as a real professional game (*after* the bugs are corrected). What is missing is the sequel for advanced players. So it makes sense to subscribe, when you discover the game. But it is not worth it, once you've mastered it.

So, unless Ben find again the same spirit, energy, and time he had, when he started Noir (which seems to die too) a few years ago and SoM a year ago, well, don't expect too much.

ms helen
ms helen

Bilibot - Whilst you have concerns which is understandable, to say Ben 'doesn't care' I think is way off base. Ben may not have as much time on his hands as he would like but not having time and not caring are two completely different things.

If you don't want to subscribe then don't no one is forcing you too. There are those who want to and will subscribe to the game and are happy to do so. No game is ever finished whether it be an online RPG or something as large as Warcraft even the most well known games have mistakes such as typos (do these affect your gameplay btw? No didn't think so)

Ben has tried hard to add new content to help build the game, none of which can be done overnight but still you want to criticise everything that is done. I guess it's true what they say, 'there's just no pleasing some people'

Now you probably don't agree with what I say but you seem to have an opinion on everything so I figure I can have mine, feel free to bash away.

Like I said I do actually understand your concerns but I don't think you're going the right way about expressing them.

bilbot-the-hommit
bilbot-the-hommit

My only wish: prove me wrong :)

I think that typos are minor errors that should be immediately corrected once discovered. *Not* correcting them is a good sign of not caring, as it takes only a few minutes to correct them.

I stand by the fact that SoM is not worth subscribing once you've mastered it. It seems that a lot of old timers think like me and they are now either unsubscribed or will be when their current subscription ends.

You may not like this but that the way it is. When all old timers will be gone, it would be too late to bring them back.

I acknowledge the fact, that Ben did some job lately but, at least for me and other fellow players, it was too little, too late. For a hobby project, that's OK. For a real company with customers, that's not enough: a real company has *full* time employees (even only one) working hard to satisfy its customers. Ben is only working part time (to be nice), hence "hobby project".

BigJackie
BigJackie

well idk yall decide

[ You must login to reply ]

Login Help