Community - Message Boards

Sleuth Talk

Case Giver and Case File Changes

Sleuth Admin
Sleuth Admin

Three new changes have gone live today. Thanks to those of you who sent me feedback on these issues.

1) If you quit or are kicked out of an agency, any private case files are now marked as not-private. This is just to prevent private case files from sitting around forever when somebody leaves. All such existing stale files are now marked not-private as well (this is retroactive).

2) You are no longer allowed to store favor cases in Case Files. This change is not retroactive, so if you have favors sitting around in case files, they are still accessible. This change (along with #3 below) is meant to make treasure hunts more competitive and longer-lasting.

1) Most Case Giving Contacts now give you one less case option at a time.
15-39 = 1 Case offered
40+ = 2 Cases offered
The exception is your original Contact (Sergeant or Reporter), who will still offer 2-3 cases. The primary reason for this change is to make Treasure Hunts tougher (and hence worth doing), but it should also make contact building a little more interesting. I realise the downside of this is that older players had an easier path than newer players, but I think the positives outweigh the negatives on this.

Replies
Ford Fairlane
Ford Fairlane

I'm cursed: new things I love come too late and things I'm not very fond of come too fast :)

Anyway thanks for making stale saved cases public: we will have a clean case file :)

Reducing the number of cases per case giver is not a good idea but it forces you to put all cases on one page as the way it is now doesn't look professional (it sounds crazy to have to display a new screen to offer only one choice :) Sorry if what I write seems harsh, but even a very young programmer wouldn't do that.

I don't want to brag but my solution to limit the number of townies on each cases round is a far better solution as younger players are not handicapped.

Remember that older players are hooked so they don't need much to be satisfy (and pay the subscription). However younger players are more versatile so the more difficult it is for them to build a perfect detective, the more chances they quit.

Ford Fairlane
Ford Fairlane

Oops wrong detective ;) It is Milmot2 speaking / writing.

Droid
Droid

I would say that saving favours and then playing them all tegether as a team is the only thing that's kept me interested in SoM. It may pan out that we still have our treasure hunt evenings but if it turns out to be just a collection of individuals playing at their own times rather than a team game then there's little point in continuing. Of course the old way did suit AIU because hunts were well organised, the new way suites KKK more since they didn't hunt as a team anyway.

Cinderella
Cinderella

Having saved favors almost all of the case files filled is still difficult to win a treasure hunt. It always happens to be the cases that you don't have. Also with the treasure hunts lasting longer it will be harder for most members to be present. I agree with Droid. I love our agency AIU and we all have such a wonderful relationship that it is nice to be a team. We do have a wonderful Director. We have won so many treasures that I don't even know why doing the treausre hunt is important anymore other than the time that our agency can spend together.

I don't think that the younger members are handicapped. I know several who has passed me on experience. I also know of one the opened one of the new bosses. I had played long before these people. You can also tell who really wants to take playing seriously or not by the experience and how long it takes them to get the experience.

I don't want to be rude but I disagree with Milmot2. Older members are starting to get tired. He even stated that he was one of them. I guess that I can see if you cut down the number of cases, but cutting down the number of cases and not being able to save the cases is too much. Most likely I won't need an agency case file now. Also letting one of your first case givers giving you more cases is not good for me because they offer less points on their cases anyway.

I seem to be spending most of my life just trying to keep up. I feel guilty if I don't get all of my favor cases done. Playing a game should not be stressful. It would be nice to be able to get our favor cases when we want them. Such as if I have a busy day and log on, then I could choose to get my favor cases and log out. On days that I am not busy then I can wait. I would probably like them right away just to be sure that I got them. It would also be nice to get your favor cases if you miss a day.

Agencies are hard to hold on too. It is a lot of hard work and usually by the time that you think that you have it, then people leave or try their own agency. As an agency gets older they lose

Cinderella
Cinderella

To quickly finish, I don't like the new changes.

milmot2
milmot2

@Droid: I do what every smart people does. When rules change, I adapt :) I still think that saved favor cases make treasure hunts too easy. With no saved favor cases, you'll have to do a hunt in 2 or 3 evenings instead of doing 3 hunts in an evening. This leaves some room for younger agencies to catch on us.

@Cinderella: I agree with you on a point. Both no saved favor cases *and* reduced number of cases is really a big pill to swallow. I would have eliminated "saved favor cases" first and look at what happens for a month or 2. If the same agencies still trust the treasure hunts, *then* I'll add or change rules again.

To keep up with favor cases, just do like everybody else: play beginner cases (reduced number of cases doesn't help) between favor cases *or* saved presolved cases and use them until you get a favor case.

As for old players getting tired, I'd say it is normal whatever the rules are. The game, as it is designed now, means boredom after a while. That's why it is vital for Ben (if he has no other income) to nurture young players. With the crisis, ads revenues will dry up so he needs to convert as many non subscribers into subscribers. Seeing that the top agencies have zillion fame points and win all treasure hunts, is not an encouragement for a competitive new player.

erin wright
erin wright

I JUST WANTED TO SAY THAT I DON'T LIKE THE CHANGES. IF YOU WANT MORE PEOPLE TO SUBSCRIBE THEN THIS IS NOT THE WAY. I CAN DEAL WITH THE NO SAVED FAVOUR CASES CAUSE I DO UNDERSTAND WHY YOUR DOING IT. BUT CUTTING DOWN HOW MANY CASES YOU GET IS RIDICOULISE. WHAT WAS THE POINT OF ALL OF US OLDER DETECTIVES WORKING UP TO THE AMOUNT OF CASES WE GOT TO FOR YOU TO TAKE THEM AWAY WITHOUT EVEN HINTING AT US IT WAS GONNA HAPPEN. ILL TELL YOU I WOULDN'T HAVE SUBSCRIBED NOR WOULD I HAVE BOTHERED IF I KNEW THAT WAS GONNA HAPPEN. THERE IS NO WAY NOW TO GET MORE CASES FROM THE SOCIALATE ETC. NOW BECAUSE OF THE WAY YOU LOSE WITH THE OTHERS. YOU CAN COUNT ANOTHER ONE WHO WILL NOT RESUBSCRIBE AFTER MINE RUNS OUT IN NOV. I UNDERSTAND THAT YOUR TRYING TO GET MORE PEOPLE TO SUBSCRIBE BUT THE LATTER DOESN'T AFFECT ANYONE BUT THE OLDER DETECTIVES .

Cinderella
Cinderella

I totally agree with Erin. The older detectives that have worked their way up the ladder through hard work are being penalized. I don't know what the answer is, but I think that it needs to be thought through. I feel like Erin, if it is going to be this way, then I am out of here when my subscription runs out.

I really feel that some older members should be chosen to think about what to do to improve game. It seems like all work and no play anymore.

I think that this is going to hurt Sleuth Shades of Mysterys because now I am logging on everyday trying to get my contact points up and saving favor cases. Since we are no longer being able to save cases, then what I could do is just log in the day of the treasure hunt. The less that I log in, the more likely I am to not really be interested.

Here is one example. Erin started a long time after I did. She opened her new boss up and I haven't gotten there yet.

I will say that I have been bored for a while. It is nice for new changes but we need more changes that will make us want to play more. It is like the same old stuff. We don't even win anything for ourselves, we have to buy it. The gifts we get, we can't use, we end up giving them to the people that we have to bribe. If we want a mansion, we have to pay for it. Why not give offerings to increase our detectives.

I know that I am now rattling on, but I am not happy.

Droid
Droid

@Milmot, we have been avoiding taking hunts away from the younger agencies because we want them to grow so we have some competition.

I hope Erin's keyboard gets better ;)

Dande_Foss
Dande_Foss

It states on the 'detective' page..and in the original post...

"The exception is your original Contact (Sergeant or Reporter), who will still offer 2-3 cases. "

so...why does my desk sarge often offer 1 case...and No favour cases?

He was my original contact.

[ You must login to reply ]

Login Help