Community - Message Boards

Sleuth Talk

Harder Case Givers... At Long Last

Sleuth Admin
Sleuth Admin

Well, for those of you paying attention, I promised to release harder case givers "no later than the end of August", live and in person, way back on episode 1 of Sleuth Radio.

Then, at the end of August, I said "in another week". After that I just stopped promising timelines.

Soooo, anywho, here at last, and (almost) worth the long wait:

It is now possible to unlock harder case givers than the three faction bosses. I'll leave it up to all of you to figure out the details, but the mission involves some of the previously under appreciated denizens of Sleuth City.

There are a few other goodies thrown in there for you over achieving top-of-charters too.

Enjoy!

Replies
emma1000daisy
emma1000daisy

that idea will be alright

Droid
Droid

So Milmot was using a 'bot to solve the cases, that explains how he did so many cases per day. I don't think anyone could do that many with just the mouse or even the tab key.

Cinderella
Cinderella

I think that is what I noticed when I said that I didn't know who was who anymore. Maybe I am wrong but I watched the lights on sleuth mail. It actually started scaring me. Don't ask him how many detectives he was using, I don't think that he would tell you. I may be wrong, but I don't think so. It is no wonder that he put me on ignore, bots don't chat do they? LOL

shell marple
shell marple

This is the most interesting discussion on the Shades forums in long time. One that is possibly overdue as well.

Shades of Mystery is more than a hobby for Hypothetical Software, aka Ben and Sunny. It is a business venture, one that they would love to see succeed. To be a true success not only are the input of the consumers needed, but also time. The time to accurately assess what aspects of the game work and which ones need fixing. Do the comments of a few people on the forums represent the sentiments of the community at large, or are the comments more of a wish list of a few players?

I must say that personally I find the game lacking the mental challenge. The challenge is being able to find the time and the desire to play the number of cases required to acquire contacts so that you can participate in what is meant to be an agency competition, treasure hunts. But the desire to participate is quickly extinguished and the enjoyment of the hunt taken away since treasure hunting is nothing more than holding favors and running through them as quickly as possible.

I must say Milmots idea of a large case that needs to be solved by a group of detectives excites me. There are tons of possibilities for that idea, and it is a sound way of building a more cohesive community.

As for bots, well to each his own. My opinion is that bots further removes the human from the game, hence decreasing the humans personal enjoyment of the game. I'm sure it helps with growing your stats, but at the end of the day I would not feel the same sense of accomplishment as if I had done it on my own.

Yes this is just my two cents worth on the issues that face this game and its long term sucess. I'm interested in what others think, after all losing players with high standings and/ or leaders of the community does not bode well for this game.

Droid
Droid

I like Milmot's thoughts on showdown; at least to stop the fixed format start time which, as he says, is no good for people in some timezones. I think showdowns slow the 'server' down though so rather than having them run continually I would have one every 7 hours or similar odd time period so everyone gets a fair chance of a showdown in their playing window. Not that I can enter showdowns, this PC is too slow.

I was hoping treasure hunting would be more than rattling off the saved cases, I was hoping to rattle off the cases when some other agency was stuck. The fun part is to hit them when they're half way through. There aren't enough agencies hunting though for that to happen although we had a few pot-shots at KKK and stole some of their jewels ;) We've started kicking off more than one at once to make a bit more of a challenge of it.

I suspect the community at large (if one only considers the paying members) is comprised mainly of first time subscribers racing their way up the top-newbie high score tables. Game enhancements aren't likely to affect them for the first few months.

The mental challenge is how to spend your experience points, my duplicate 'Clouseau' was able to solve IH cases from scratch after doing just 50 cases, he had rather a big helping hand from his agency though, similar to a few other newbie detectives.

Time is indeed the problem, I do 9 beginners and 3 favours most days just to keep up for treasure hunts, the game itself is too repetitive to be a challenge but there's nothing that can be done about that.

Night Owl
Night Owl

What about hiding clues within houses for you to find for certain faction bosses or their minions, which then involves you having to do smaller challenges for further information or points?

The encoded notes idea is brilliant but if all it offers you is a name (which you may have already discovered) then its just another yellow note. If ,however, some of those encoded notes are a challenge to an agency to find a suspect or treasure hidden by one of the faction bosses somewhere within the game. This could be a mini game in itself which could have the whole agency searching for clues and having to ask townies individually for info to find the treasure....a little like the special missions, but one the whole agency could take part in?

Night Owl
Night Owl

......and BTW i don't use a BOT its all my own hard work :) just in case some thought i was clever enough in the first place to use them!!!! lol

Cinderella
Cinderella

I would also like to see teams compete. There are so many treasure hunts offered that you don't have to compete with another team. It would also be nice to get the three favor cases when you want them instead of going through the other cases. That would be more appealing for people that are busy.

I do like the special missions. It could be expanded to where you have to search for things other than the documents.

Cinderella
Cinderella

Also maybe there would be a way to break into some detective agency and steal some money or a treasure, that would be interesting. I guess that I am not a reformed burgular.

Azar
Azar

I have one important question to Ben:

Is there possibility, that favours for stylist and locksmith could be needed in Treasure Hunt (TH)?

It is important, because we try to reach +40 now and we want to do TH as well. It is imposibble, when these favours could occur during TH.

For example: I have +34 with stylist and I have almost +40 and ... during TH we need stylist. I will do that case and .... after punishment I will have at most +28 ... It is no good.

Ben, please respond quickly :)

[ You must login to reply ]

Login Help