Community - Message Boards

Sleuth Talk

Harder Case Givers... At Long Last

Sleuth Admin
Sleuth Admin

Well, for those of you paying attention, I promised to release harder case givers "no later than the end of August", live and in person, way back on episode 1 of Sleuth Radio.

Then, at the end of August, I said "in another week". After that I just stopped promising timelines.

Soooo, anywho, here at last, and (almost) worth the long wait:

It is now possible to unlock harder case givers than the three faction bosses. I'll leave it up to all of you to figure out the details, but the mission involves some of the previously under appreciated denizens of Sleuth City.

There are a few other goodies thrown in there for you over achieving top-of-charters too.

Enjoy!

Replies
Detective Joseph Chen
Detective Joseph Chen

asking on behalf of a friend:

1) are those photos only found in IH cases?
2) is it true that faction minions with at least 30 contact points can decipher the encoded note?

milmot2
milmot2

Hi Ben,

It seems you have now some time for SOM again, which is real good news but too late for me :)

I want to thank you for all the fun playing the game, you created, gave me. I didn't find safe keys and encoded notes very interesting and waited eagerly for harder cases. Here there are at last, but too late as my subscription will expire soon and I don't plan to subscribe (or play) again.

To bring back some fun in the game, here are some thoughts:

1) Treasure hunts are boring as you can used *saved* case files in a hunt. The "strategy" is really simple: take 4 detectives, save 20 favor cases (one for each townie involved in hunts), start the hunt, grab the loot. This way there is no chance for another agency to steal the hunt away from you. The solution is simple: forbid favor case saving.

2) Older players / agencies have an unfair advantage: their old age give them a point advantage now too hard to overcome for newer players.

Do as it is done in Diablo 2 or other online games: create a ladder where everybody starts anew. The ladder will have a duration say 1 month if you soften down the rules to build up an expert detective or 6 months for the current rules. A detective or an agency will automatically retire at the end of each ladder and can participate bare naked to the new ladder. The performance for each ladder will be saved so that anybody can see your previous feats and defeats.

Or create a top of the month detective or agency ladder: detectives or agencies are ranked using the *difference* between their current experience/fame and its value 30 days ago.

3) Solving a case is so predictable that I was able to create a bot to play for me (or I'm a very clever software engineer). Unfortunately this is the very nature of case solving so I don't have any good ideas how to make this too challenging for a computer (or a bot programmer) but still fun for a human player.

However social activities are not worth creating a bot for them (nobody wants to make friend with a computer besides me), so they are the way to go.

- Create

milmot2
milmot2

Oops: number of characters limits in a reply reached :)

However social activities are not worth creating a bot for them (nobody wants to make friend with a computer besides me), so they are the way to go.

- Create huge cases which need more than one detective to be solved (imagine hundreds of suspects to interview)

- Have showdown games run continuously: a new showdown game starts when the last one ended . Current hours are not practicable for Europlayers and I don't see the point to have these hour restrictions now that harder cases are available in normal games. Not to overtax the server, limit the showdown participation to 6 players or less.

- Extend the option to give money to any player not only to members of your own agency.

- Open a "mysterious documents" exchange (I'm not sure it is a good idea "gamewise" but it helps building bonds :).

4) Implement custom games. A custom game is a favor game where you can choose the townie. The difficulty is always the greatest you have unlocked so far and you don't lose points if you fail the case. To start a custom games, you need to collect enough "things" in normal games, much like mysterious documents but for all townies.

More thoughts later (my brain needs a refill :)

Paris22
Paris22

Reply deleted by Moderator.

Cinderella
Cinderella

Milmot2 has some very good ideas. One idea that I would dread would be doing the Treasure Hunt without any saved cases. We all know if we don't have one saved favor how long it can take to try to get it. The Treasure Hunt would last a much longer time. One idea if doing away with saved favor cases would be to get a list of the townies needed then the whole agency could work on doing the favors. Hopefully not one after another but they could work on the whole list.

It would also be nice to somehow do treasure hunts individually at times.

Just some thoughts.

Oh and BTW, so that Milmot2 will not stop playing and has been an inspiration, I think that Sleuth should reward him with some free months.

Cinderella
Cinderella

One thing that could be changed for the better is that if the person is at work, you could still accuse them if it is within the time limit.

Detective Joseph Chen
Detective Joseph Chen

ahh, great ideas so far, but still missing:

1) Arch-Villian Hunts
2) Scripted Mysteries
3) Multi-City Travelling

Let us all kindly give sometime for Ben to create these as well, while we enjoy the new harder cases ^_^

milmot2
milmot2

If you are too kind with Ben, a week becomes 2 months :)

Detective Joseph Chen
Detective Joseph Chen

@milmot2: lol... if we don't give Ben some time, then "a particular girl" will jump into the picture telling everyone that this is only a hobby for Ben. Don't ask me who is that girl. Thank you.

emilypoop
emilypoop

Reply deleted by Moderator.

[ You must login to reply ]

Login Help