Community - Message Boards

Newbie Questions

Wanting to Retire

Aaira
Aaira

I thought this was just another flash game, nothing special....and then i played through one case.
now im addicted! and i stumbled upon message boards and realize this is much more than just a flash game, its submersive and has many fun aspects to it that require strategy and long-term planning.
so it seems on one of the sites i visited, it gave advice on the best background to choose on the detective you create and it seems i chose the worst one. so i would like to retire my detective and make a new one, the problem is. i already subscribed on her and dont want to go through failing 3 missions just to have her retired for me. is there someway i can voluntarily retire her and have my subscription go onto a new detective i create?
i searched the forums here and the help file and see nothing that tells me how to go about doing that.
i appreciate any help and i look forward to becoming an active participant in your lovely community here.

Thanks! :)

Replies
Detective Joseph Chen
Detective Joseph Chen

The worst is probably Retired Lawyer, here's how. Let say there's 6 detectives (all having different backgrounds), start at the same time. In order to achieve the same skills, here's a summary:
Moonlighting Dilettante: 250 skill points
Reformed Burglar: 251 skill points
Disgraced Doctor/Freelance Investigative Reporter: 252 skill points
Disillusioned Police Detective: 254 skill points
Retired Lawyer: 269 skill points

The above is just calculations based on assumption that you want the following skills:
Charm 5
Intimidation 5
Judge Of Character 3
Lock Picking 4
PE Analysis 1
Negotiation 3
Research 4

Moderators, if I've violate the rules by giving too much spoilers, pls kindly delete my post. Thank you.

Droid
Droid

Aaira, when you retire a detective with 3 false alibies it doesn't end your subscription, the replacement detective you create picks up the remaining days as long as you create the new detective as soon as the old one retires.

MissManda722
MissManda722

Jchen...wouldn't you think that if Retired Lawyer accounts for the highest cost in skill points, that would....hypothetically...make them more valuable? If it takes 269 skill points to get to what it takes to be a retired lawyer, and retired lawyer also requires the most skill points...lets remember that skill points become hard to come by, therefore they are valuable....they'd be best choice. For argument's sake...

Based on your example of allocations, you could easily say that 269 skill points ( retired lawyer) is much more valuable than moonlighting delittante (250 skill points). Therefore, according to your OWN little layout and assertion there, the one who starts out with the most "automatic" skill points for a background is the most valuable, and so, according to your own "findings" that would actually make retired lawyer the MOST VALUABLE and therefore best choice, being that their starting skills account for 269 skill points as opposed to 250. Unfortunately, your own findings have only contradicted the point you intended to make. According to your own research, Retired Lawyer backround accounts for 269 skill points (the most as far as you have listed) that makes them "the best choice" based on skill points. Who would want 250 skill points if they could have 269?

However, no one should take this to heart. I was simply making a point to JChen that his assertion is incorrect...at least as far is it appears to be. I stand by the fact that all backgrounds have something to offer.

MissManda722
MissManda722

And please let me know if I completely misread your post, despite that I have read it a dozen times trying to make sure I understand it...

Jake Gittes
Jake Gittes

I think Chen's figures are the skill points need to be earned to have those skills (ch5/int5, joc3, etc...) . Their total is 362, as Retired Lawyer has 93 in the beginning, a player who has chosen Retired Lawyer need to earn 269 skill points to get these skills, where a Moonlighting Dilettante needs only 250.

Also I think the number of skill points backgrounds have converges in time; in other words, I think the interval between two skill points is shorter in some backgrounds. (retired lawyer must be the shortest) So at a certain point in the future, they might have the same skills with the same amount of skill points.

Detective Joseph Chen
Detective Joseph Chen

@Manda: Well, Jake read it correctly. Thanks Jake. Well, that will answer your query ^_^

@Jake: Hmm, the way you mentioned it, I think it makes sense too, or else, no one would choose Retired Lawyer. ^_^

Jojo
Jojo

I just wanted to point out that that quote from SleuthTips.com is taken from the Noir portion of the site... So it isn't applicable at all to Shades.

Sheller Gu
Sheller Gu

So Mandy, what do you think is the best background.

new_detective
new_detective

I guess I read his post completely backwards! :P. You could choose to look at who the best choice is on really pragmatic terms such as that, but I still don't think it's as clear cut as that. It also comes down to what skills you are started off with...IE some are more valuable to you when you are trying to get your feet off the ground.

For example...as a reformed burglar I started off with 5 intimidation...and it was REALLY nice to not run out of that...I wouldn't get stuck with clammed suspects. I find charm/int valuable so having 5 off the bat was really nice. I also really liked that I had 2 lockpicks too, and didn't have the running-out-of-money-and-can't-afford-a-key to break in problem.

Personally I think Reformed Burglar is one of the best choices because you get started off with two of the skills you'll want immediately which will save you money and prevent you from getting completely stuck...not to mention a couple of PE analysis that allow you to rule out all men or all women.

Disillusion Police Detective: Another decent one. Only 4 intimidation, only 1 lock pick, but you get two of the more "valuable" PE training...thing is those aren't really necessary right away. In the beginning an extra lockpick or charm/int will get you further. Analysis doesn't really become that important until harder cases.

Disgraced Doctor: I almost went with it just because of all that PE analysis, but I knew I'd have a lot more trouble completing cases at first with only one charm/int, and absolutely no lock picks to speak of. So if I ran out of money I'd have to quit a case if I couldn't search homes any other way.

Freeklance Reporter: Decent on charm, and you get some PE analysis, but still no lockpicks. Research too, but another thing that you don't have to start using regularly until VH+ cases.

Retired Lawyer: would probably be my third choice. A bit rounded out across everything except analysis (something you don't need right away)...but again I really needed those lockpicks at first and you don't get any here.

Moonlight

new_detective
new_detective

Moonlighting Delittante: My second choice. It covers all the basic needs for a newbie just getting started. That negotiation saves money, something newbies have trouble holding on to, and you still get an analysis.

So all in all, reformed burglar and delitante are probably my personal recommendations to a brand newbie who hasn't played before. However, for people who have played before I can understanding choosing another one if they know what their favorite skills were, if they wanna try something new, or if they want a challenge.

It's still hard to recommend one because all skills become necessary, but I made those choices based on remember and knowing what it's like to start out...they are probably the easiest two to start with.

[ You must login to reply ]

Login Help