Community - Message Boards

Newbie Questions

Wanting to Retire

Aaira
Aaira

I thought this was just another flash game, nothing special....and then i played through one case.
now im addicted! and i stumbled upon message boards and realize this is much more than just a flash game, its submersive and has many fun aspects to it that require strategy and long-term planning.
so it seems on one of the sites i visited, it gave advice on the best background to choose on the detective you create and it seems i chose the worst one. so i would like to retire my detective and make a new one, the problem is. i already subscribed on her and dont want to go through failing 3 missions just to have her retired for me. is there someway i can voluntarily retire her and have my subscription go onto a new detective i create?
i searched the forums here and the help file and see nothing that tells me how to go about doing that.
i appreciate any help and i look forward to becoming an active participant in your lovely community here.

Thanks! :)

Replies
Tuppence Tommy
Tuppence Tommy

Aaira. . .I don't know what forums you are referring to that told you that you have chosen the "worst background possible", but I know quite a few VERY SUCCESSFUL Moonlighting Dilettantes around here. . .I really think that backgrounds influence your detective more as a newbie than as a veteran player. What I mean is, the more experience you get, the more skills points you can accumulate. You can spend you skills points on what ever skills that you want to. So, if your background character is weak on charm, then you can spend your skills points on charm. If you are in need of analysis skills, then you can use the skills points that you accumulate to gain analysis skills. Doing so, you can transform your detective into who you want her to be. My advice? You seem to have an EXCELLENT record already, why trash it?

BUT if you feel that you just HAVE to start over, all you have to do is "falsely accuse" a suspect in three different cases and your detective will be forcibly retired.

Aaira
Aaira

Thanks for the reply Tuppence Tommy. I think at this point im just going to stick with her as opposed to retiring. I like a challenge and I can see how your advice rings true, the only time the chosen background skill point placement will have a noticeable effect would likely be while im still a newb.
I'll grow out of newb status rather swiftly hopefully. :)

As for where I got the information:
www.sleuthtips.com - their "creating a detective" section, if you scroll to the bottom you will see this:

[quote]
"Tough and Smart (Disillusioned Police Detective) provides some unnecessary skills to begin with, and Tough and Charming (Moonlighting Dilettante) is the worst of the six archetypes in the game, so try to avoid both of these choices. "

MissManda722
MissManda722

First of all...I actually really liked starting off with Disillusioned Police Detective, and I know a few really successful Moonlighting Delittante's. Some of them might might starting off at the very beginning a challenge, but really they all offer skills that become invaluable. I completely agree with Tuppence that that isn't necessarily the best advice and I'm surprised that sleuthtips.com featured that info. I do know that there are some backgrounds I personally wouldn't choose because I liked some skills that I wouldn't want to start off without, but I see other detectives who don't prefer those same skills...so it's all very subjective.

I've said many times, when people are asking for which skills to get, that it's really really hard to tell which ones. I can't think of one skill point that is completely useless, or even moderately. They all play their roles, and since each background features different roles, then each background will determine your strategy for beating cases in the beginning. As a newbie you will quickly gain skill points and you will have opportunities to strength yourself where you are weak. If some skills aren't necessary right away, as sleuthtips mentioned, they become necessary eventually, and so having them out of the way will allow you to focus on other skills you need.

Anyways. I'm glad to hear Tommy talked you into sticking with it! :) That's the spirit.

Kacirek
Kacirek

I really like my Moonlighting Dilettante. I tried different backgrounds before I chose this and I'm happy with it.

I think you were looking at the Noir guide - how to Choose Detective Background and that's completely different than Shades;)

MissManda722
MissManda722

Kacirek is totally right. I just checked sleuthtips.com Noir guide and found that particular quote there. I've heard it's a completely different game so it makes sense there was confusion.

All Newbies, in reference to JoJo's Sleuthtips.com, make sure you are clicking on Shades of Mystery and not Noir. ;)

Aaira
Aaira

ahha, that explains why some of the information didnt fit well. I just assumed it was a dual-guide, covering both games basically.

Thanks for all the replies!

PS MissManda - your guide has been invaluable.

pss <3 the hat!

Aaira
Aaira

MissManda - as regards your guide. I actually leave it open while playing so i can tab over and research things easily (ie where to train certain skills or who to take certain evidence to, in case i forget). and the "Notepad" advice rocks!!

Thanks for taking the time to help us newbs out.

MissManda722
MissManda722

My pleasure :) I'm glad it's been helpful.

Detective Joseph Chen
Detective Joseph Chen

The worst is probably Retired Lawyer, here's how. Let say there's 6 detectives (all having different backgrounds), start at the same time. In order to achieve the same skills, here's a summary:
Moonlighting Dilettante: 250 skill points
Reformed Burglar: 251 skill points
Disgraced Doctor/Freelance Investigative Reporter: 252 skill points
Disillusioned Police Detective: 254 skill points
Retired Lawyer: 269 skill points

The above is just calculations based on assumption that you want the following skills:
Charm 5
Intimidation 5
Judge Of Character 3
Lock Picking 4
PE Analysis 1
Negotiation 3
Research 4

Moderators, if I've violate the rules by giving too much spoilers, pls kindly delete my post. Thank you.

Droid
Droid

Aaira, when you retire a detective with 3 false alibies it doesn't end your subscription, the replacement detective you create picks up the remaining days as long as you create the new detective as soon as the old one retires.

[ You must login to reply ]

Login Help