Community - Message Boards

Game Announcements

Cheating, Hacking and 3rd Party Software

Sleuth Admin
Sleuth Admin

The following has been added to the Code of Conduct:

ILLEGAL HACKING ACTIVITIES:

Any breaches of US or international cyber crime or wire fraud laws will be prosecuted. The perpetrators will be banned permanently from Hypoware games and their Sleuth subscriptions will be forfeit without any refunds. Examples of illegal hacking include (but are not limited to): attempting to hack or compromise Hypoware server security, distributing or injecting malicious software code into either the Sleuth server or client code, launching a denial of service attack against Hypoware servers, stealing or intercepting personal or financial user records, spoofing or stealing paid Sleuth subscriptions.

BOTS AND AUTOMATED GAME SCRIPTING:

It is not permitted to create or use any program that automates Sleuth game play or circumvents the Sleuth game client in order to speed in-game advancement. Practically speaking, this rule prohibits use of any third party program, script or plugin that SENDS data to Sleuth servers. First offenses will result in loss of 50\% of detective experience and commensurate loss of skill points and skills. Subsequent offenses will result in full detective resets.

URL HACKING / WEB REQUEST SPOOFING:

Modifying, duplicating or spoofing data messages generated by the Sleuth client is considered cheating. First offenses will result in loss of 20\% of detective experience and commensurate loss of skill points and skills. Second offenses will result in loss of 50\% of detective experience and commensurate loss of skill points and skills. Subsequent offenses will result in full detective resets.

ABUSING KNOWN AND PUBLISHED EXPLOITS

If a game administrator announces and describes a particular activity or strategy to be an exploit of the game on the Message Boards, any further use of that tactic (after the announcement) will result in a full detective reset.

HELPER APS / CASE STATUS TRACKERS / CRIME SCENE SEARCHING AIDS

It is permissible to use programs, scripts or plugins that passively READ data sent from the Sleuth server

Replies
Sleuth Admin
Sleuth Admin

Notes:

1) There will be a few retroactive punishments applied to flagrant cheaters. I will be announcing those in the next few days. Other than that, please consider the policy changes going forward. I don't want to start a big drama where people start accusing people they don't like of occasional or out-dated offenses.

2) We have plugged some exploits recently, and are paying MUCH more attention to tracking future exploits uses and attempted exploits. We are not above using honeypots (leaving open a known exploit and logging violators). If you are tempted to get creative with your Sleuthing, you have been warned.

3) The last bit in the policy about techniques we do NOT consider to be cheating is largely intended to explicitly permit things like searching aids for visually impaired players or translators for non-English speakers. In the ideal world, those would be the only extraneous tools players would make use of. That said, there really is no way for us to know whether somebody is making use of a passive helper program, so any attempt we made to outlaw helper apps would be an empty threat.

4) On a related note, the stratgey that worked until last week (relying only on either the first piece of physical evidence or the first weapon) would NOT be considered cheating under these rules. That evidence ordering was an artifact of the mystery creation process (it has since been completely randomized). Noticing things like that and taking advantage of them is part of the game. However, we do not necessarily have to announce that we are going to change those kind of details before we do, so you are always taking a chance of getting an False Accusation if you rely on any method other than 3Stars + Alibi.

Droid
Droid

Thanks for the ruling Ben.

I take it that minor URL modification that doesn't affect the game play is OK?

Some like to modify the top novices list to see their place in the age ladder similar to this...

http://shades.playsleuth.com/community/scores/by_age.spy?min_age=7&max_age=17

and I like to modify the login message like this...

http://shades.playsleuth.com/login.spy?msg=Droid_was_here

Sleuth Admin
Sleuth Admin

It's a fine line there Droid. Depends on how funny the output is, I suppose.

Azar
Azar

Thanks Ben for that CoC :)

BTW: Current rules (regarding cases) are more challenging and it is good for the game. But, I hope, it is not completely randomize (depend on level of difficulty), because for example: 8 suspects + 5 PEs - it will kill all of us :)

Sleuth Admin
Sleuth Admin

Azar,

The order of the evidence is randomized. Amount and quality is still based on Difficulty.

Azar
Azar

Indeed :)
These were the words I wanted to hear :)

BTW - I still dreaming about huge hunt - something like building the palace in the first Civilization. It would be nice to search many pieces of magnificent HQ during many weeks ... Task could be very different - not always favour for townie.
It is my little, humble thought :)

Thanks Ben.

Lady Jas
Lady Jas

Thank you Ben, for you all you do for the community! I appreciate it. :)

Detective Joseph Chen
Detective Joseph Chen

Thank you Ben, everyone will love you for these changes made. ^_^

yay! To NO MORE BOTS!

Isaac Mendez
Isaac Mendez

bye bye bot

ekab
ekab

Reply deleted by Moderator.

[ You must login to reply ]

Login Help